Ring Pommels?!
So, ring pommels! They are amazing, elegant, simple and awesome!
I was seriously considering using one for my custom sword in my harness, but i would like to reenact and italian, or maybe german, Mercenary... so the question is: Do we have surviving examples, representation or even accounts of ring pommels being adopted outside Ireland? Considering the "fancyness" of swords in Italian Reinassance it would seem strange to me that such a particular pommel did not find the taste of someone in the continent...
Hi Michele, this might interest you.

http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=34271&highlight=
There is also a very nice (but small) hand and a half sword in Solingen, described in "The sword, thought and form", it has a pommel with a hole in the center, filled with brass lattice. It is truly amazing. I'll look up if I have a few pictures of it.
Bram Verbeek wrote:
There is also a very nice (but small) hand and a half sword in Solingen, described in "The sword, thought and form", it has a pommel with a hole in the center, filled with brass lattice. It is truly amazing. I'll look up if I have a few pictures of it.

This one?

in many ways, the pommel is more an integral part of the tang of that sword, forged to shape, than it is a pommel in the normal sense. the cross is mounted by sliding up from the tip of the blade, and pinned in place with a rivet, similar to a messer nagel in construction.

it is notable that it is very much child-sized, despite its proportions.

Attachment: 102.65 KB
[ Download ]
The three swords used in the coronation of the King or Queen of the UK; the sword of spiritual justice, the sword of temporal justice, and sword of mercy (curtana), all have a ring pommell somewhat like those on Irish examples.
I wasn't searching for new examples, but came across one today anyway... it's in a German Crucifixion scene, c. 1490s.

[ Linked Image ]

https://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/paintings/master-of-the-aachen-altarpiece-the-crucifixion
I have found a few photo's, but they're bad, luckily, you can still find the cover of the book online, it's a closeup of the lattice work: [ Linked Image ] There even is a zoomed out picture of it.

EDIT for clarity, this is not a ring pommel, but another form of open pommel.

Attachment: 57.09 KB
Overview of the open pommel sword [ Download ]

Attachment: 37.2 KB
Hilt [ Download ]

Last edited by Bram Verbeek on Fri 13 Oct, 2017 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Bram Verbeek wrote:
I have found a few photo's, but they're bad, luckily, you can still find the cover of the book online, it's a closeup of the lattice work: [ Linked Image ] There even is a zoomed out picture of it.

Thats strange, it looks like there's no tang going through the pommel...
Michele Allori wrote:
Bram Verbeek wrote:

There isn't. The entire upper part of the grip and pommel are an integral part of the tang, as James Elmslie already noted upthread.
Michele Allori wrote:
Bram Verbeek wrote:

I was not clear, sorry, it is not a ring pommel, but an open german pommel nonetheless.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: