myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Helmets in "Gladiator" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 19 Mar, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You guys watched "First Night"? I thought it was supposed to be a "chick flick". Sort of like "An Affair to Remember", but with two leading men and taking place in a slightly more fictionalized setting than a cruise ship and a romanticized version of New York City. I finally understood why Guinevere was torn. She had to choose between Sean Connery and Richard Gere! Cool

LOL

Seriously, I'd also love to see "The Winter KIng" made into a movie. Not so seriously, I wonder how Johnny Dep would do playing Derfel? Wink

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 19 Mar, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:
You guys watched "First Night"? I thought it was supposed to be a "chick flick". Sort of like "An Affair to Remember", but with two leading men and taking place in a slightly more fictionalized setting than a cruise ship and a romanticized version of New York City. I finally understood why Guinevere was torn. She had to choose between Sean Connery and Richard Gere! Cool

I watched it (my wife's idea), but it was a painful experience. As a result of all of my frustration with historically (and 'armorically') inaccurate films, I have decided that my favorite pseudo-historic film is "A Knight's Tale" - absolutely no pretense at accuracy, just trying to have a good time. Laughing Out Loud
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 19 Mar, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:
Seriously, I'd also love to see "The Winter KIng" made into a movie. Not so seriously, I wonder how Johnny Dep would do playing Derfel? Wink

Depp is a very good actor. I bet he'd do a great job. His only problem would be that he lacks the physical size that that part asks for. Id rather see him do it than some muscle-headed/bodied hunk.
Gabriel Stevens

PostPosted: Sat 19 Mar, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree the way Hollywood tries to spin things I'm sure they'd try to use the Rock or someone like that for Derfel. Its too bad that the Winter King calls for a younger actor. I know with Cornwell using Sean Bean as the lead is kind of a cliche but I do think he would be a really good Derfel. Wonder who could pull off Cornwell's version of Merlin? Or Arthur for that matter?
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sat 19 Mar, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriel Stevens wrote:
I agree the way Hollywood tries to spin things I'm sure they'd try to use the Rock or someone like that for Derfel. Its too bad that the Winter King calls for a younger actor. I know with Cornwell using Sean Bean as the lead is kind of a cliche but I do think he would be a really good Derfel. Wonder who could pull off Cornwell's version of Merlin? Or Arthur for that matter?

I think Gerard Butler would make a good Arthur. The late Richard Harris would have been a good Merlin.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Gabriel Stevens

PostPosted: Sat 19 Mar, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You know I was thinking both of those guys too, but I didn't want to mention Harris if only because he's passed on. But yeah I could definitely see him being as sly and vicious as he has to be.
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sat 19 Mar, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I think Gerard Butler would make a good Arthur. The late Richard Harris would have been a good Merlin.

I agree that that Gerard Butler could be a good Arthur. What about Ian McKellen as Merlin?
Martin Wallgren

PostPosted: Sat 19 Mar, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perhaps it would make people confused;)

[/quote]What about Ian McKellen as Merlin?
Quote:

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sat 19 Mar, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I agree that that Gerard Butler could be a good Arthur. What about Ian McKellen as Merlin?

I don't think so. Honestly I think Mr. McKellen is a bit overexposed in that type of role. Cornwell's Merlin is a character that really chews on the scenery, as well as the other characters.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Gabriel Stevens

PostPosted: Sat 19 Mar, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't think Ian would take it, I believe he turned down Harris' character from the Harry Potter movies after Harris died. Though after seeing McKellen's Richard III I know he can play about as mean and manipulative as one might desire. But I think other actors could pull it off too.
Peter Morwood

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's worth listening to the Director's Commentary on the DVD, where Ridley Scott gives his reasons for ignoring so much of the information - supplied presumably by Professor Kathleen Coleman (who ultimately requested that her "historical advisor" credit be removed*.) A good deal of this seems to have been done to speed up the drama, to "show" without having to pause for "explanation"; he was, after all, making an entertainment-drama, not a documentary.

However, some of it was just becase Scott preferred his fictional vision to the historical reality. Since I've now had first-hand experience of what a director's "vision" can do to a film project, I've stopped ranting so hard about Gladiator; it could have been so much worse. The IMDB trivia section http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0172495/trivia quotes Scott as commenting that the real Colosseum was "too small", which is a reasonable summation of how his mind was working where this film is concerned. I wonder what Kingdom of Heaven will be like; certainly the armour (at least as seen in the trailer) looks more appropriate to the First Crusade than the Third.

*The only place her name appears is the small "The producers wish to thank..." gang-credit, and she is the only individual named in it.

"I care little for your Cause; I fight not for your Crown, but for your half-crown, and your handsome women!" - Capt. Carlo Fantom (from Aubrey's "Brief Lives")
Martin Wallgren

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter, are you the Peter Morwood who have written the Horselord series, if so, Thank you! One of the greatest reading experinces I had during my teenage years.

How about a heavy makeup on Nick Cage, could be a realy good Merlin.

Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Morwood wrote:
It's worth listening to the Director's Commentary on the DVD, where Ridley Scott gives his reasons for ignoring so much of the information....

I wonder what Kingdom of Heaven will be like

Have the Gladiator DVD, recently checked out the anachronistic helms, but never listened to the Director's Commentary. Guess I need to watch the film yet again.

Regarding Kingdom of Heaven, we have had a lot of discussion on that topic, here:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=3003.
I am looking forward to seeing the film, and I expect it to be very entertaining, because I believe that Sir Ridley is a fine director. However, I also expect to be annoyed by historical errors and contradictions.
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Morwood wrote:
...However, some of it was just becase Scott preferred his fictional vision to the historical reality. Since I've now had first-hand experience of what a director's "vision" can do to a film project, I've stopped ranting so hard about Gladiator; it could have been so much worse. The IMDB trivia section http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0172495/trivia quotes Scott as commenting that the real Colosseum was "too small", which is a reasonable summation of how his mind was working where this film is concerned...

I had a similar thought last night watching "King Arthur." I guess they didn't want a bunch heroic knights guarding a seven foot high wall... So Hollywierd made Hadrian's Wall look like the Great Wall of China Eek!

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Peter Morwood

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin Wallgren wrote:
Peter, are you the Peter Morwood who have written the Horselord series...

Yup, that's me. And later this year they're coming back into print, which means a bit more money to buy pointies with. Laughing Out Loud

"I care little for your Cause; I fight not for your Crown, but for your half-crown, and your handsome women!" - Capt. Carlo Fantom (from Aubrey's "Brief Lives")
Martin Wallgren

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

FANTASTIC....

They are great work, the scene in The Horselord where Aldric cuts of the biceps of the barbarian is one of the things that made me start with swordplay.... Big Grin

Gabriel Stevens

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nick Cage..? (shudder.....) please keep him away from any kind of serious movie.
Benjamin McCracken

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Boy this thread has really taken a turn from its original theme. Peter, I just put your rerelease in my wish list on amazon.com. Maybe some day I can meet you and get it signed... As far as a good Arthur I would choose Vigo Mortensen. He made a great Aragorn, I see no reason why he wouldn't make a great Arthur.

Ben

"Your sword is your shield!"
Christian Henry Tobler
David Evans

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm chuffed to F**k the Horselord books are being reprinted, my copies have gone west-ish over the years. I'm also missing at least one of the follow on books at least.

Vigo Mortensen? Do me a favour.......When He learns to act, and then only maybe.... I hate to say it but I can't think of a single actor with the weight of skill who could pull it off. And as for having an American playing Arthur.....Yeuch.....Would you like a Brit playing Washington? A younger Russell Crowe...Maybe.......Orlando Bloom... No way....crap actor. Brad Pitt....tooo light weight...sulked and pouted like a 6 year old girl in Troy. Sean bean....Nope....not quite but there's a role in it for him. Ioan Gruffudd... Maybe He's welsh at least and still just young enough. Jason Isaacs, too old for lead role but could work as Merlin.......
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter O'Toole would do a great Winter King Merlin.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Helmets in "Gladiator"
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: