Have you ever regretted selling a sword?
After years of sword collecting and obtaining quite a lot of them I have finally accepted that if I want to both save money and get new peices I have to sell some.

I had no difficulty parting ways with the ones from low-end makers, as well as the ones that I felt no longer fit into my collection. But there are still a couple that are really quite nice that I will have to sell in order to continue sustainably collecting.

Has anyone here sold some then regretted it afterward?
I miss several of the pieces I've sold over the years. The worst hurt has been the recent pieces I've sold because they meant the most to me. At the end of the day, though, it's not been a big deal when things are in perspective. I've got to sell more and I'll surely have misgivings about it, but it's all just stuff and isn't as important as other parts of life.
At this point there are a couple Lutels from very early in my collecting that I would not mind having back, but no, I don't really regret selling anything. For that matter I'm not even sure I remember all I've sold!
Absolutely!
I sold my Albion Sovereign to buy my Prince.
Bad choice. Zach, if you're out there let me know if you ever get tired of that Sovereign.

Then there was the Hrisoulas katzbalger...

Those are my only real regrets. Swords come and swords go. They're like old girlfriends. Some you have a life long fondness for even after they're long gone and some you never think of again.

Daggers however are forever, they're like children. Even the ones you don't like you can never get rid of;-)
Yup....Not sold but traded. Swapped my H/T Norman for a Hanwei side-sword. Missed it so bad I bought another one. It's staying put. Love that little sword! :D ....McM
Mark Moore wrote:
Yup....Not sold but traded. Swapped my H/T Norman for a Hanwei side-sword. Missed it so bad I bought another one. It's staying put. Love that little sword! :D ....McM

Funnily enough that's one of the ones I just sold. Luckily they're easy to find if you miss them too much
Well, I figure I came out for the best. :D I got a fairly scarce side-sword and later, a brand new Norman. The original was second-hand. Nice though! :D It's my absolute favorite backyard water bottle killer. ;) .....McM
Multiple times but at that time they felt like good sales. I think my biggest regret is still selling Albion Baron with Fletcher scabbard. It was really nice package but I needed the funds for an antique which I ended up buying but was not totally happy with. I've found myself often regretting letting the Baron go. The good thing is I can still get another Baron with custom scabbard if I feel like it but at the moment I stay with cheaper euros.
Actually... not really. I've sold, traded, and given away several swords/knives/axes/etc. There were a couple that I kind of missed for a while, but I can't say I regret selling them. Then again, I haven't sold off any of my better quality pieces. I have been fortunate in that regard.
I've never sent one down the road and decided it was a complete mistake, but I have had slight regrets. Most of the production stuff has gone from my collection to finance customs. Some of those, like the Albions, I've regretted the necessity of having to sell them, but that's life and priority. On the other hand, I've yet to be displeased with the customs I've acquired and I know where to get more Albions in the future. In the end, I try to maintain a balance of priorities in my life and swords are somewhere down the list of must haves.
Certainly have.. the one that pains me the most is selling off my first nihonto. I searched my email box to find the original buyer but the guy doesn't respond. :(
No, I've not regretted selling anything yet, and I've sold some damn good pieces. I have bought and sold so many swords that I can't even remember them all, and I'm ok with that. I have used the experience of handling all those swords to really understand what I like. I'm at a point now where my collection is much smaller, but very focused. I have kept only the swords which are my favorites, and are the best representations of what I like. I do still have a few I will likely part with one day, but most of what I have now is staying where it is.
Not a sword, but a helmet. I bought a 14th c. great bascinet from Ebay once. It was supposed to be 18ga. and weigh about 7 pounds. They sent me a 16ga. that went about 10 or 11 pounds! It was so heavy I couldn't wear it for over a few minutes. I sold it here on the marketplace, and wish I had it back almost daily. If it ever comes back for sale here, ---You know who you are, Matthew G. !!! First dibs!! :lol: .....McM
Certainly have. Several years ago. sold a number of Japanese swords to some folks in Japan. Three of which were signed and authenticated, A very silly error in judgement.

On the other hand, have also regretted buying some modern day European "replica" pieces. Certainly have no remorse over purchases from A&A, Albion, or Del Tin (to a lesser extent).

Mark mentioned armor; well that is another sad story.

Regards,
Dan
There is just one that I really wish that I could take back... an Albion Constable with factory blued hilt furniture. For some unknown impulse, I decided that the Constable's 33 inch blade was too short for a "longsword".
I bought the Poitiers, and I love it, but in retrospect, who says I can't have two Type XV's?
I always hope they are going to good homes. I am not a forum seller, so sales have been in person. Some to close friends, so I see them from time to time.

Patrick will remember this one, it went to someone a few years ago who wanted a ren faire sword .

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 40.11 KB
oscarweb.jpg

I have bought, sold, traded and given away more swords than I can remember. My only regrets were some the Albion ones that I let go. Another was a custom Lundemo that I was able to get back but had to trade a really nice Albion to get the sword home again.

At the time I let the Albion ones go, I figured I would just replace them but ended up being transferred to the Washington, DC area which eats up most of my money now to cover living expenses......
On a brighter note...Happy Birthday, Will..... :D ......McM
Mark Moore wrote:
On a brighter note...Happy Birthday, Will..... :D ......McM

Thanks Mark - the big 55.......

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: