Help identify a Windlass...
A couple of years ago, I got this sword in a package deal. The previous owner didn't, know the model. The original grip wrap was missing. I rewrapped it in black leather cord. The sword is peened. Blade is 32-1/2'', 40-1/4'' overall, but may have been a tad longer as it has been blunted for sparring. Does anyone recognize it from old MRL catalogs? A pic of the original would be great. Sorry for MY crappy photos! Thanks, folks! :) .....McM

Attachment: 30.6 KB
WIN_20170914_16_08_48_Pro.jpg

Attachment: 28.05 KB
WIN_20170914_16_09_37_Pro.jpg

Attachment: 29.67 KB
WIN_20170914_16_09_18_Pro.jpg

Also, it has a short ricasso--if you want to call it that--of about 1/4''. The narrow fuller begins there and runs almost the entire blade length. The grip is fairly long--about 5''--for a single-hander. I would call the pommel an Oakeshott type J or K, but 'squashed' on top and bottom, and without the peen block. Hope this helps. :) .......McM
No clue? Anybody? I'm mainly wondering if it might be from the old MRL/Del Tin days. I'm thinking of putting it for sale, but if it could be a DT blade, I'll keep it. If it were a DT blade, would it have a makers mark? I see *nothing* on the blade to say its origin. Thanks for any help. :) ......McM
From my old pieces (that I sold)...the Del Tins (entire swords or just blades) were marked Del Tin.
There was an entire era spanning several years where Museum Replicas Limited swords having blades made by Del Tin had no markings on the blade. Often, these swords had hilts made by Windlass and assembled by MRL.

Back in the day, I purchased a sword that was clearly identified in the catalog as being of krupp steal made by Del Tin that arrived without blade markings.

Can't help you on your sword, Mark. The photos are too small and blurry to identify the sword.
Thanks, Nathan...That's *kinda* encouraging to hear. :lol: The sword is actually pretty plain. The crossguard is just flat steel that narrows to squared points...very similar to the guard on a H/T Norman. I think you get a fairly good image of the pommel. And yes....I must get a decent camera! :lol: There's only so much one can do with a screen cam except take 'selfies'. :lol: The sword just may have to remain a mystery. Thanks again.....McM

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: