Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > 1100 joules, how does that compare to bows and stuff? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
William P

PostPosted: Fri 15 Sep, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: 1100 joules, how does that compare to bows and stuff?         Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZdsyj9zZM0

so jeorg sprave of the slingshot channel made this video

now the armour he uses is really understrength, but at 1100 joules of energy, i suspect even high end armour would have issues with that

after all, isnt 1100 joules the equivelent of, like, a roman scorpio?
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 15 Sep, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a 'Dark Drake' breastplate from Epic Armoury. I have one from them, and I doubt it would fend off a high-powered BB gun. It's only 18ga. steel. Of course he's firing a whaling harpoon at point-blank range. Eek! WTF?! ......McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Timo Nieminen

PostPosted: Sat 16 Sep, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1100 joules, how does that compare to bows and stuff?         Reply with quote

William P wrote:
after all, isnt 1100 joules the equivelent of, like, a roman scorpio?

A high draw-weight bow might deliver 100J to 150J. A 16th century arquebus or 17th century pistol might deliver 1100J.

A small ballista can deliver that much energy (and more): http://alexisphoenix.org/ballista.php

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Bram Verbeek

PostPosted: Sat 16 Sep, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the breastplate he uses might be compared to a coat of plates in defensive capabilities, but without the fabric that should be on it. This would make this setup somewhat similar to what you might encounter around 1200 on a soldier who was not all that well off (I think I recognise the mail, and it is too flat, possibly similar to worn-out mail or simply cheap mail at the time, and the COP substitute is not too great).

It resists stabs from a sword, it resists slashes from a sword, it resists puny arrows, and is destroyed by effectively siege equipment. I don't think the breastplate would even be needed to get exactly the same results, and possibly even a good breastplate (pre-pistol proof, though the point on that thing is positively armour piercing) would probably give the same results.

I really like the Slingshot channel for its ingeniousness, but do flinch at the utter lack of safety from time to time.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 16 Sep, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bram Verbeek wrote:

I really like the Slingshot channel for its ingeniousness, but do flinch at the utter lack of safety from time to time.

If you noticed---and how could you not---one of those crossbow bolts *almost* got him in the upper thigh....or worse. Sing soprano, anyone? Eek! .....McM

''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > 1100 joules, how does that compare to bows and stuff?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic