My oldest sword - wootz shamshir circa 1600
Full video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJoAO7ukA1U

Specs:

Total Length: 96cm

Blade Length: 84cm

Weight: 795 grams

[ Linked Image ]

If I'm not mistaken, the inlaid signature (which is worse for wear) is the shortform of Assad Allah Al Isfahani, a prolific bladesmith from between roughly 1580-1628. There are many blades signed with his name (and later on stamped with it or a lion) but the koftgari style and the steel used seem to indicate this is one of the older ones. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

[ Linked Image ]

I think the wootz is Kara Khorasan wootz (black wootz from the Khorasan Region) - it has a distinct styling, being dark with fine light swirls. Might be kara taban, I am no expert.

[ Linked Image ]

The blade has gone through repeated resharpening during its lifetime, probably quite some time ago. It is still quite a substantial blade, and feels almost tip heavy, with significant blade presence.
Assadullah is kind of like Ulfberht or Andrea Ferrara in the West. There are far too many blades stamped with his name from too wide a span of space and time to realistically be the product of an individual smith (or even a single workshop).
Looks Persian, very hard to date, how about some more images of the hilt, does it have a scabbard?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: