Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Darksword Armory : Current state of balance Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 08 Sep, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Exactly, Bryan.....All of those 'thread after thread.....' is the main reason I have never considered DSA. All of those reviewers can't be wrong. I've hoisted a few DSA's, and was not impressed. Add to that some horror-story tang photos over on the SBG site.....nope. Not with my money. I could buy a $50 wall hanger from BudK and be just as happy. But right now, I'm gonna go oil the blade on my H/T Norman....Got a stack of 2-liter soda bottles that need to be executed. Wink .......McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 08 Sep, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Will the real Mark Moore please stand up! Happy
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 08 Sep, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Right here with ya, Glen! Since '03. My account here got screwed up. Long story. Sorry for any confusion between 'Mark C. Moore' and 'Mark Moore'.....we are one in the same. Wink Once again.....loooong story. Blush ......McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I had the opportunity to handle a few models this last year. A couple of them were newer models and one model that's no more than a couple years old. I was not impressed with any of them. Overall, the fittings were poorly designed, having poor shapes, proportions, and weights. The dynamic properties were not very good for any of them with the 14th century sword being the worst. The Norman practice sword was probably the best of the lot.

There are better options out there. That's about all I'm gonna say.

That's my opinion. Mileage varies.

+1 on the above. While my DSA experience is not really current, I have not read of anyone else's current experience that is significantly different. My first repro sword was a DSA. In addition to the observations above, I would add: poorly done grip, leather that comes loose with just a little handling, blade issues, such as waviness (poor quality forging), temper problems (sections that can be sharpened, and sections that cannot on the same blade), and obviously asymmetrical hilt furniture (perhaps alluded to above).

There are better choices out there......
Richard Miller

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have had the misfortune of owning two DSA "swords" and they were BOTH lovely wall hangers, but in no way functional. I have heard dozens of horror stories about DSA from people that I know, who are well versed in what it is that makes a sword functional.
Personally, I would warn anyone that DSA products, especially their longer, two handed and hand and a half swords are not only way overpriced, but are in my opinion, down right dangerous!
Because this site is really quite polite and low-key compared to other less formal sites, I have really held back my true disdain for DSA. If you want to get an earful from some more outspoken critics, then check some of the other sword pages on FaceBook and ask for their opinions! Yeesh....

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Darksword Armory : Current state of balance
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: