Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Maximilian Armor in Portugal? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Pedro Paulo Gaião

PostPosted: Mon 23 Dec, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Maximilian Armor in Portugal?         Reply with quote

So, a historian I know showed me a detail from the 1500's Genealogia dos Reis de Portugal showing heavy cavalry using a very unique sort of armor:

The flutings were clearly indicating the shape of Maximilian Harness, so I looked in other images of the Genealogia to see if I found more examples and discovered this:

Even if the cuirasses doesn't match like a Maximilian style, the sabatons and helmets are identical, they remind me of some woodcuts showing the Emperor's court:

https://scontent.foma1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/41589699_1708137102630683_4850290577209556992_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_oc=AQmunnkiib-ZemrKNa9hpKQ8KJOWNy0VtwxlerFtW7frsZJvpX4lMbsfVCT15ngzjt8&_nc_ht=scontent.foma1-1.fna&oh=7216fb22f1a9b1a6eb8ff7f4aeaff24e&oe=5EAB7433

I thought Maximilian Styles were confined into Germany and Austria, but this can be quite revealing: the style was used in faraway countries such as Portugal, perhaps by means of exportation from Germany workshops. Even still, I think such armor might have been producted in the Netherlands, which would make more sense, since Portugal was a stronger economic partner with Flanders than with Germany; although Italian exports were obsviously used, dutch market was put in evidence when King Joao I (r. 1385-1433) decreed a tax cut at armors imported from England and Flanders.

Anyways, what do you think? Does any of you know examples, documents or evidence that Maximilian Armor was used in other parts of Europe as well?[/url]

“Burn old wood, read old books, drink old wines, have old friends.”
Alfonso X, King of Castile (1221-84)
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 24 Dec, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Heavily fluted armours have a continent wide popularity in the early 16th century all across Europe, even in Italy, though to a much smaller degree. They can look more or less German, however.
jamesarlen.com

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Maximilian Armor in Portugal?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic