Go to page 1, 2  Next

New coolness at MRL...
Check this out, and the new Viking sword! www.museumreplicas.com/p-3264-late-scottish-broadsword.aspx
4lbs 6 oz?

My goodness, that's a beast.
The claymore is beautiful, but it's not exactly "late", unless you consider the mid-to-late 1600's "late".

But 4 lbs 6 oz??? That's pretty obese for a sword of this type (not that I can speak, but I'm not trying to be historically accurate).... yes, there are some historical basket-hilted swords that weigh that much, but they are few and far between (yes, sometimes even the ancients made bad swords sometimes...).
I don't care for it. It is far too heavy. It is not a "late" anything. It is more on the lines of the some of the earliest basket hilts extant. I also do not like the squiggly engraving on the blade. Wouldn't a simple "Andrea Farara" or something like that been adequate? The basket also looks humongous which is typical of most modern made hilts.

All in all, I think I will pass on it and keep my Donnie Shearer basket hilts.
Compared to other offerings at that price point I think it compares favorably. The weight is excessive for any single handed sword, really. However, the overall form is an improvement for MRL. The company has a long history of weird and inaccurate product names, so big whup there. It's not my thing, nor the thing of anyone really into Scottish weapons I suspect. But, I don't think you can poo poo it too loudly when put into the proper context.
I agree with Lin. The scale and proportions of a lot of Scottish repros is off.

https://collections.royalarmouries.org/object/rac-object-17301.html

https://collections.royalarmouries.org/object/rac-object-33735.html
Sorry, folks.....Didn't mean to stir up a s***-storm debate. Just wanted to make sure y'all saw the new goodies. Now, on A DIFFERENT NOTE---howza'bout the weight on that new Viking sword? That is almost unreal. Less than two pounds? C'mon. Viking swords are supposed to be able to chop an armored man in half and cleave the masts of longships in a single swing!!! :lol: :p :lol: ........McM
Mark,brother you have to stop being so sensitive (the comments are only on the sword nothing personal at you)...plus aside from the cool MRL viking,check out the new Hanwei...

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...t+Maurice+
Whoa.... Daaaaammmit! S-a-Weeeet ! Didn't see that one coming. Guess I need to check KOA's new stuff more often. Hell, I thought two or three times a day was enough. Thanks, Bro. :D .........McM
:lol: As per my quote---''Life is like a box of chocolates---(You nevah know what you gonna get.)......I know what I'm gonna get. Oh, hell yeah....... ;) :p ..........McM
Mark C. Moore wrote:
Sorry, folks.....Didn't mean to stir up a s***-storm debate. Just wanted to make sure y'all saw the new goodies. Now, on A DIFFERENT NOTE---howza'bout the weight on that new Viking sword? That is almost unreal. Less than two pounds? C'mon. Viking swords are supposed to be able to chop an armored man in half and cleave the masts of longships in a single swing!!! :lol: :p :lol: ........McM

Authenticity is always a s... I mean a box of chocolates debate.

Didn't Forrest Gump also say "it costs about the same to make a good copy as it does to make a bad copy"? :eek: :D
Mark C. Moore wrote:

Another thing to keep in mind, Mark, is that many of the people on myArmoury are quite discerning and discriminating when it comes to reproductions of arms and armour. I understand that you were sharing it just out of the enthusiasm of finding something new. Many of the other posters are highly concerned about things like the visual form, proportions, weight, and the like. For us, these features are important, and key determiners of our perception of a reproduction piece. Do you ever open up books with photographs of antique swords and really look carefully at them, closely scrutinizing them for each and every visual detail? If you have, you may be able to understand how the accuracy and closeness of a reproduction sword to a real sword is an important factor for us.
Looking at the sword and stats:

"Late Scottish BroadswordLate Scottish BroadswordLate Scottish BroadswordLate Scottish BroadswordLate Scottish Broadsword

Overall Length: 38-1/2"

Blade Length: 32"

Blade Width: 1-1/2"

Blade Thickness:

Weight: 4 lbs 6 oz"

And Windlass normally uses 3/16" thick stock.

Even assuming the basket is on the heavy side, these numbers don't add up to me. I wonder if the weight is a typo.
I sent an email to MRL asking about the weight on that Scotty. I'm probably not the first. :lol: I don't think they even have them in stock yet, so they might not even know for sure. We'll see.... ;) ..........McM
J.D. Crawford wrote:
Looking at the sword and stats:

"Late Scottish BroadswordLate Scottish BroadswordLate Scottish BroadswordLate Scottish BroadswordLate Scottish Broadsword

Overall Length: 38-1/2"

Blade Length: 32"

Blade Width: 1-1/2"

Blade Thickness:

Weight: 4 lbs 6 oz"

And Windlass normally uses 3/16" thick stock.

Even assuming the basket is on the heavy side, these numbers don't add up to me. I wonder if the weight is a typo.

If it is not a typo, I wonder if the hilt is especially heavy in this example? Or perhaps it includes scabbard in the weight. Without a PoB we're even more in the dark.

M.
M. Eversberg II wrote:

If it is not a typo, I wonder if the hilt is especially heavy in this example? Or perhaps it includes scabbard in the weight. Without a PoB we're even more in the dark.

M.

I suspect the hilt is fairly massive, as is typical with MRL basket hilts.
Well, I finally heard back from MRL, and they are just as in the dark as we are concerning the weight. They said they would re-weigh the sword when they come in-stock. No one there has ever laid hands on one, as far as I can tell. :\ ......McM
New Scottish broadsword...
I guess MRL has these in stock now. The verdict is in. 4 pounds, 8 oz. alone, 5 pounds, 6-1/2 oz. with the scabbard. ;) ...McM
No reason to have multiple topics about the same thing. I combined the two. Please save me the work and keep things organized yourself. :)
My apologies for that, Nathan. This is the topic I was looking for, but being overly tired I guess I just missed it somehow. Thanks for placing it correctly. :) ......McM
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: