Late 10th Century Gotland Battle-axe
Hi everyone!

This is the first axe I've ever made, so some mistakes were inevitable.
For this project I chose to make a battle-axe with opening, forming the cross in the middle. As the community might know, there are several such findings in different stage of preservation, dug across Northern Europe and usually associated with the Vikings.
The only reason I selected the axe from Gotland, Sweden

[ Linked Image ]

is very simple actually - somewhere in Pinterest I managed to find very nice drawing with all dimensions required.

Starting with practical skills of "how-to-make-axe" at ZERO Level, it was challenging and interesting simultaneously. The main parts of the body - cutting edge, socket and tapering - were made mainly by forging; the seams of the socket were closed by MIG/MAG welding.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

The head is leaf-spring 65G steel, the haft - beech. The last 30 cm (about 12 inches) are wrapped with raw-hide protective cover.
As the axe is intended for re-enactment purposes, I chose to give it a somewhat "raw" finish - as it comes in battle directly from the forge.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

The 1.70 m (more than 6 feet) haft is secured via powerful wedge, then oiled with linseed oil.

[ Linked Image ]

Despite the mistakes, this axe was a great experience for me - learnt a lot about the choice of steel, socket-making process and the whole step-by-step procedure of axe-making.
Despite whatever mistakes you might have made, I think that's the coolest axe design I've ever seen. Great choice!
Boris, you hit that nail right on the head. Looks like it came through a time machine. Fantastic work! Bravo!.....McM
The real beauty if this piece is that it looks exactly like what it is, a weapon! Great job, especially for your first axe!
1.70 m is almost exactly 5.5 feet, so not more than 6 feet. ;)

Really nice axe anyway. Love the slightly 'raw' look.
Bartek Strojek wrote:
1.70 m is almost exactly 5.5 feet, so not more than 6 feet. ;)

Yep!
Less than 6 feet indeed - don't know why I've mistaken this.

You know, here in Europe we have this problem constantly - to convert metric measurements in non-metric correctly and without using charts
I feel that I must make a second comment. You, sir, are quickly becoming one of my favorite makers. I hope one day to be able to have a piece of your work displayed in my home. Between this axe and your recent Warhammer project...you just blow my mind. Everything of yours that I have seen is absolutely amazing. KEEP IT UP! :D .......McM
Thanks, Mark

Mark C. Moore wrote:
....I hope one day to be able to have a piece of your work displayed in my home.....

Whenever you decide to do that - I'm always ready for new challenges.
This axe looks really nice Boris. For someone with zero previous experience making axes you have done a superb job of recreating this one. I will echo Mark and say that I hope to add one of your pieces to myArmoury one day.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: