Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 15th century lower-grade armor for the limbs Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Ed W.

PostPosted: Tue 22 Aug, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
(i.e. if the garment were on a real human form, we would expect a baggy look at the elbows and in the armpits).

The CdB doublet is quite a bit earlier than Agincourt, but it is still consistent with arming garments seen in artwork from the early 15th C. I have made two doublets based on Tasha's pattern, a civilian version and a lightly padded arming version. With the arm straight you do indeed get a small 'bag' of fabric behind the elbow, but this is taken up when the elbow is held in a more natural bent position. Same thing occurs behind the armpit, but again is taken up when the arm is moved forward. This is essential to maintain good range of motion. For a complete novice tailor making one of these would be a fairly ambitious project.

gettting back to the original post on limb protection, you might like to have a read of Richardson's thesis on the inventories from the Tower of London http://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/3919/1/Thom_Ri..._final.pdf
1415 is right at the end of the period covered, but it's still a very interesting read and there might be something relevant.

ed.
Gregory T Kallok

PostPosted: Tue 22 Aug, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is really mind boggling the detail required to get a exact "kit" correct. I do have a Albion Munich in Gothic and was half way considering trying to put period Correct Kit together. I also have a Albion Ghaddhjalt which would be MUCH easier to assemble a kit, I "think" ROFL. What a spectacular thing this Website is!
Keep your nose in the Wind and your eye on the skyline.
Del Q

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 15th century lower-grade armor for the limbs
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: