Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Help Assembling Late 15th Century Arming Clothes Kit Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Emmett R

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Help Assembling Late 15th Century Arming Clothes Kit         Reply with quote

I've been interested in arms and armor for years, but it wasn't until recently that I've had the motivation and fiscal means to pursue it as a hobby.

I'm currently in the process of trying to collect all of the arming garments necessary before actually obtaining any armor. Not much to my surprise, it can be pretty overwhelming considering all options, potential for mistakes, and knowing in what areas to do it yourself. My aim is to have the appropriate arming garments for a mid-late 15th century harness.

In regard to the arming doublet, I'm aware how integral a close fit is to the garment functioning properly, so I purchased a pattern (Pourpoint of Charles de Blois) and plan to have it tailored. I've found myself running into a few issues as I come closer to actually having it made--the most prominent being the fact that the garment is well outside the time period I'm interested in. The pattern also doesn't seem to give directions on where to place arming points. It also seems as though it wouldn't be compatible with joined hosen. I was hoping I could have some assistance regarding what I'd need to make so that the garment could be more similar to that of an arming doublet of the mid-late 15th century.

I briefly touched upon my confusion regarding what exact style of hosen I need. I've been unsure on whether to buy them ready-made or buy another pattern with which to make them. The only retailers I could find to even sell hosen that looked correct were Historic Enterprises and Revival Clothing. I've been conflicted because not only am I uncertain of the quality of the product, I'm also dubious as to how well they'd fit. I have pretty skinny legs and fairly large feet (US Men's 13), so I'm unsure as to whether the hosen they sell would be able to accommodate my foot size
Likewise with braies, I'm unsure of what style to get and what sort of braies would have been worn at different time periods; there seems to have been crossover in styles worn between the late 14th and mid 15th centuries.

I don't trust myself to try and make turnshoes, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where to find period-appropriate, historical turnshoes online. Alternatively, If anyone can suggest a good pattern, I could try making them--though buying them would be preferred.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug, 2017 2:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Get Dressed For Battle makes some good shoes and boots. Check 'em out at Kult of Athena. Wink Lord of Battles also makes fine gambesons. They use natural wool for padding....breathes better than poly-fill. Big Grin .....McM

www.kultofathena.com

''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Help Assembling Late 15th Century Arming Clothes Kit
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic