Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Can someone help to find the identity of this sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dylan van der Heijde

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jul, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Can someone help to find the identity of this sword         Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I'm really curious where this sword is coming from or the (possible) history behind it.

It is is almost 30 inches long or 75 cm.

It has these "orange- light red" lines or marks on the blade and it seems quite scratched as well.

On the pommel it says: CONCA IVI ACIDARI VICTORIA
DE CALLIS AD CANNAS
CONSALVVS ACIDARIUS TVP CAL DEI PRCD
DICTAV TORIII
ARTA ITALIE PACE IANVM CLAVSIT with markings of 2 people standing to the left and right of a shield while on the other side a battle between two groups is going on.

I have no idea where it comes from, when my grandpa passed away we found it somewhere hidden away in his bedroom.

I hope you guys can help me to find some information about this sword.

Thanks in advance!

Attachment: 35.95 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 197.36 KB
[ Download ]
Mark Lewis

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jul, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Dylan,
I would guess that this is a modern imitation of the sword of Gonzalo ("Consalvus") de Cordoba, which is in the Real Armeria in Madrid. If it was your grandfather's, I suppose it could well date to the 19th century and still have some value... I'm sure there are others in the forum who would know better than I. The pommel of the original sword has a medallion with essentially the same design and text, though there seem to be a few transcription errors in the imitation.

best,
Mark

David Cooper

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would say no earlier than the 1950s, probably later. These swords are still being retailed by Marto. Most grandfathers of people alive today were not around to collect swords in the 1890s.
The journey not the destination
Dylan van der Heijde

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Mark and David!

I'm not as interested in the value of this sword as it is something that belonged to my grandfather, I'm glad you guys could find the background information and the possible era it was made in, the 50s would be quite interesting as my grandad moved from Indonesia to the Netherlands in that period of time to peruse an army carreer which he successfully finished after 30+ years of service haha.

I also got another sword, it is smaller and has a knight on a horse which is carrying a shield with a red cross on It, we found it together with this sword, should I post it here or make a serperate post as I'm also curious behind the history of this one as well.
I'm pretty positive this is a replica as well as it looks like it is coated or sprayed with a gold colour.

Anyway, thanks again!

-Dylan

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Can someone help to find the identity of this sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic