Help with a Mason sword?
Hi and thank you for allowing me here. I have been searching around the web for a few days now at many forums, videos...etc and can't seem to find a specific answer. A friend of mine who has always been like my father figure (he is in his early 60s) had found a sword that belonged to his father who was a Mason. Hes not sure what fraternity or group he was part of.

He has given me the sword (not to keep of course) to see if I could find out anything about it. I know its ceremonial and from what I gather maybe 19th century. He was looking to find what order it was from and what its meaning was. And possibly a value, though he does not plan on selling it just yet. Any help you can provide would be wonderful!

I uploaded the images to a gallery here, hopefully there are enough pictures to work with:
https://postimg.org/gallery/2mxlse4ik/
Welcome aboard Russ

The sword is that of a Knight's Templar, an advanced degree of the Free Masons. At the base of the blade is likely the retailer's name. The owner's name etched longways on the blade. If there is a good chain of ownership, looking at the background of the original owner can date the sword pretty well. It is a style that may show it to have been manufactured in Germany.

Quite common, a sales search will show the street prices. Examples with uniforms and medals, along with a complete package can be subjectively more valuable. There are many, many of them out there, while their singularity can be an interesting study.

Cheers

GC
Wow thanks. I'll let him know. Hes interested in getting it prices so he can possibly sell it in the future. But hes looking for someone who can give a good value. He also mentioned its not his grandfathers but something like his great-great-great grandfathers. He himself is a 9th generation Mason.

I'm going to look at it closer for the marks you were referring too. If he does sell it I don't want him selling it at some pawn show who probably will not give him what its worth.
IMO, no earlier than the 1890s and quite likely early 20th century. If you search ebay for "knights templar sword" and narrow to sold listings, you'll get an idea of past sales.

The owner's name on the blade should date it easily, if a sword passed down directly in the family.

No swords involved in tracing my own family but records quite solidly kept since the late 18th century (my paternal ggg-grandfather born in 1803), I am 63 and my gg-grandfather was born in the 1830s.

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 92.63 KB
Baltimore.jpg
They really are everywhere
In terms of price, these swords are unfortunately not worth very much. In USD roughly $200-250 at maximum retail. You will see some listed higher on eBay, etc ($350+), but they will not be selling typically.

If you would like more information, I suggest this book:

Attachment: 10.73 KB
41c7KZnq1gL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: