Go to page Previous  1, 2

Malcolm Wilbur wrote:
Quote:
Does your friend know how his great grandfather came to own this attractive dirk?

No, he reports that his father inherited it from HIS grandfather with no documentation or tales of the provenance of the dirk. That's why we thought this forum might provide some clues. My hope was that someone might be able to see enough of the silver engraving to tell if it was a regimental dirk or not, and if so, which regiment. From comparing it with other images I found online it's clearly not Scots Guards but I don't know enough about such things to be of much use. Would civilians have purchased such a dirk for their own non-military, use?

Are there other forums where such answers might be found? Thanks again, gentlemen.

It does not appear to be a regimental dirk, at least based on the decoration. Most of the dirks I have seen with a regimental connection have sported the badge of the regiment. The decoration on this dirk is strictly generic, i.e. Scottish thistles. My reason for the question was that perhaps the grandfather might have served in a Scottish regiment in the UK or in Canada.
Officer's dirks tend to be very fancy, like this Cameron Highlanders dirk. But notice the pinkish stone!

This civilian dirk, with pinkish stone, has mounts similar to yours.

Attachment: 34.66 KB
image.jpeg

Attachment: 122.34 KB
image.jpeg

Attachment: 95.02 KB
image.jpeg

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: