Help identifying this sword
My friend's father found this sword during WW2 in Germany. Can anyone help letting me know about this sword and the unit that is stamped on it. THANKS

Attachment: 141.71 KB
20170704_122814.jpg

Attachment: 223.01 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 205.43 KB
[ Download ]
Looks like this is yours: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/german-artillery-short-sword-1880-401142068
:)
That's not a unit designation, it's a makers mark.
Made by the Weyersberg sword company in Solingen, which still exists today as the WKC Stahl- und Metallwarenfabrik.

Solingen in still known as 'The City of Blades'.
Just a guess, but the A.H. on the scabbard is probably Allgemeines Heeresgerat (<-with an umlaut over the A in heeresgerat. I'm too tired to cut and paste an A with one). I only have a suspicion for the scratched-out RA6. Scabbards and swords for the most part were repurposed again and again (hence multiple scratch outs). The best person to ask about the origins of it is the owner (they probably have a fantastic tale about how it was still on the belt of the dead soldier when they "found it"). They also probably know the battalion/regiment/company they were fighting. Too bad we don't tend to ask intriguing questions as these while the "finder" is alive, but after they've have passed and when we're trying to find some meaningful connection to a major battle or individual that will increase its value. :)
It's a neat looking weapon. We're all familiar with the American Civil War era artillery short swords that look like some sort of neoclassical, art deco gladius, but this is the first one I've seen that resembles a kopis. I thought at first that it must have been worked on by a previous owner to give it that shape, but the example I linked to has the same sort of blade.
I'm no expert, but this looks like a Saxon M1879 Artillerie Faschinenmesser.

If you do a search via google you'll come across a few pics.

Danny
Sword
Thanks everyone. This is great information!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: