Vendel Period Spear
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here have any information on this spear (that I stumbled across on Google)? Particularly the steel plate mounted on the shaft. I assume it's supposed to act as reinforcement? However, knowing how decorative the Vendels were, could the main purpose be ornamentation?

Perhaps some of you have seen it in person and can provide some better insight?

[ Linked Image ]

Attachment: 103.88 KB
[ Download ]
Curious....very curious. I would think that it would be both....decorative, and functional. Many types of spears/pikes/polearms were made with langettes(sp?) to protect the shaft from breakage. Only on one side? How odd. :wtf: ....McM
Mark C. Moore wrote:
Curious....very curious. I would think that it would be both....decorative, and functional. Many types of spears/pikes/polearms were made with langettes(sp?) to protect the shaft from breakage. Only on one side? How odd. :wtf: ....McM

Indeed! It's the first from that time period I've seen with it, though. Personally I assume there's another one on the other side, but I've not been able to find any other pictures of it, so I have no idea. :)
From very close scrutiny of the photos, I think you may be right. I believe there is possibly another langette on the other side. It would only make sense. That is, however, one of the best preserved spearheads I have seen. Has it's age been authenticated? It's in remarkably good condition. I wouldn't hesitate to use that for hunting or combat TODAY, as-is. ;) .....McM
From very close scrutiny of the photos, I think you may be right. I believe there is possibly another langette on the other side. It would only make sense. That is, however, one of the best preserved spearheads I have seen. Has it's age been authenticated? It's in remarkably good condition. I wouldn't hesitate to use that for hunting or combat TODAY, as-is. ;) .....McM
That's from boat burial 7, Valsgärde in Uppland, Sweden, dating to the mid/late 6th century (or at least that's when it was buried).
4 of those mounts were discovered in total, as you can see from this image taken from Greta Arwiddson's report.

Attachment: 183.41 KB
[ Download ]

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: