Looking for primary sources on lance usage in 15th-16th cent
So I am starting my dissertation and I am looking for sources for lance use in the late middle ages. I am focusing on Western Europe but I could use any thing. I remember seeing a fight book (I think it was Italian) from the 15th century that showed a man on horseback using a heavy lance to attack a target on his left by using his left arm as a rest for it, and then sliding it across like a pool que. However I can't remember where this was or find it. I appreciate whatever help anyone can give me.

Michael Curl
This is may be outside of your date range, but as far as English sources go John Cruso's Military Instructions For the Cavalry includes instructions and illustrations for lancers whether aiming to the right or left, or at the face, breast, or horse of an opponent.

You could also look up Wallhausen's manuals, which include a lot of details about training and using various sorts of cavalry.
Thanks, I don't mind using future sources, I am sure they will come in handy.
For early C15 there is Fiore.
Well, if nobody else is going to mention it, there are a couple of translations of this around. Here's one of them.
https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Jousting-Horsemanship-Knightly-Combat/dp/1891448110
James Arlen Gillaspie wrote:
Well, if nobody else is going to mention it, there are a couple of translations of this around. Here's one of them.
https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Jousting-Horsemanship-Knightly-Combat/dp/1891448110
Thanks James! Ordered the last one from Chivalry ;)
on wiktenauer you will find plenty of fencing manuals that deal with lances.

The best would probably to get in touch with Arne Koets, he is teaching the usage of lances as well as all the other necessary stuff and does a lot of research.
Wow, thank you guys so much for the sources. I am trying to define the difference in heavy lance vs. lancegay usage, and so far I have only found a few sources for it, but It seems that most of the techniques in Fiore are only for the lancegay. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Michael
Dom Duarte's Bem Cavalgar? It's probably the most detailed source we have on the individual use of the lance.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: