My video discussing 1882 French infantry officers swords.
I put this together because I wanted to highlight the huge amount of variation there is within the 1882 pattern, outside of the regulation standard. Not sure if this is allowed to be posted here, but I thought it may interest a few people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-0oxU4QWq0
Thank you for putting this together
Thankyou for posting it to facebook (you are the one who runs MyArmouries facebook, right? or is that another admin?). Hopefully some people will see it, and learn some neat new stuff.
Sebastian Szuakslki wrote:
Thankyou for posting it to facebook (you are the one who runs MyArmouries facebook, right? or is that another admin?). Hopefully some people will see it, and learn some neat new stuff.

You noticed that so quickly!
Nathan Robinson wrote:

You noticed that so quickly!

I get notifications when you post haha
Thanks for providing us with this video.

Quite interesting with the many different choices of guards - german silver, bronze and steel - and with matching colouring wire (silver - copper - steel) on the grip!
Wonder what was behind these different choices? Status in wearing them contra battle use perhaps.
Niels Just Rasmussen wrote:

Wonder what was behind these different choices? Status in wearing them contra battle use perhaps.

I think steel can be explained as being for those who expected to get into battle and need the durability, it's the only reasonable explanation given the extra corrosion risk of steel.

Bronze and German silver are very similar in properties - I expect the bronze was a fashion statements, whereas the German silver was just the standard material used for the 1882.

I think steel can be explained as being for those who expected to get into battle and need the durability, it's the only reasonable explanation given the extra corrosion risk of steel.

Bronze and German silver are very similar in properties - I expect the bronze was a fashion statements, whereas the German silver was just the standard material used for the 1882.

So without knowing a lot of the french army from that time I would assume that some officers would then commission a steel-guard on their sword, if they knew they were going to be send into a potential conflict area (overseas?) or if war was imminent.
I guess officers were acquired to provide their own swords when enlisting (?), so their choice of guard-type was both, where the person is to be send and how much money the person could (or wanted to) spend on it?

You have any idea of prize differences back then, between these three sword-guard types?
If German silver were the standard you are probably correct that bronze could be a fashion statement and showing you to be more financially well-off.

I guess officers were acquired to provide their own swords when enlisting (?), so their choice of guard-type was both, where the person is to be send and how much money the person could (or wanted to) spend on it?

Yes, officers had to buy their own swords. I'm waiting on a reprint of a book that had some prices for various options for a specific sword maker, so I'll eventually be able to answer the cost.

I think in terms of steel vs a copper alloy the big difference would be the mindset of the officer, obviously they were someone who was willing to put up with the extra hassle of increased maintenance if they could have the stronger steel hilt, because aesthetically steel is very similar to german silver.

Yes, officers had to buy their own swords. I'm waiting on a reprint of a book that had some prices for various options for a specific sword maker, so I'll eventually be able to answer the cost.

I think in terms of steel vs a copper alloy the big difference would be the mindset of the officer, obviously they were someone who was willing to put up with the extra hassle of increased maintenance if they could have the stronger steel hilt, because aesthetically steel is very similar to german silver.

a) Really looking forward to what you find out there concerning prizes!
b) Seems like a very reasonable conclusion in making the buying choice.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: