Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Origin of gun owned by my late father Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David P.J. Barker

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jun, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: Origin of gun owned by my late father         Reply with quote

Hello everybody

One of the many objects my father left us when he died a couple of years ago was a firearm. (I've attached a photo of it to this post, and can supply more images if that would help.) Most of the things he'd collected from his travels around the world, we knew the stories behind - but this one we never did find out. Does anybody know from this photo what the origin of it might be?

I'm not looking to sell this, by the way - would just love to know any of its history! If it helps, my father spent quite a bit of time in Turkey, Greece and Spain - but that could be irrelevant here, of course.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.[/img]

Attachment: 43.81 KB
Musket 1.jpg

Neil Melville

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jun, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some more detailed pics would help, but my initial impression is eastern Mediterranean - Greece or Turkey, early 19th century, not very high quality. Other people may be able to add to that, or emend it. I wouldn't risk trying to fire it!
Neil

N Melville
David P.J. Barker

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you so much, Neil, that's very helpful. I'll try to add a couple more photos in replies here...

(And you're right: I won't be firing it!!)

Attachment: 111.4 KB
Musket 2.jpg

David P.J. Barker

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And here's another image which may (or may not) be helpful...

Attachment: 147.46 KB
[ Download ]
David P.J. Barker

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And a final one, from another angle...

Attachment: 130.21 KB
Musket 5.jpg

Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,

This is a Turkish flintlock 'replica'.. very distinctly. Unfortunately there is very little more that can be said about these pistols. They are of local manufacture and are/were made throughout Turkey, and some neighbouring regions. The basis of these guns in design are 18th century Ottoman, see: https://www.faganarms.com/products/ottoman-turkish-flintlock-pistol-c-1750-1800 OR https://www.faganarms.com/collections/firearms/products/ottoman-turkish-flintlock-pistol but are much cruder copies. Note the lack of intricacy on the lockplate/hammer/etc.

These poor quality copies began being made as early as the 1800s, nearly within the working life of the "real" ones.. and some will fire, though this is not typically advised. There will be no markings on these, and most probably manufacture comes from mid 20th Century for the tourist trade. Here are some similar examples for sale: https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/9945092_88-18th-century-turkish-flintlock-pistol- and https://www.gunauction.com/buy/12606339

You can still find these readily available and antiqued in Turkish bazaars today, with varying levels of quality. Unfortunately the value is almost nil, £25-40 realistically. Also, given that they can't be firmly dated.. there actually can be legal problems in the UK. Given that the gun is undateable, you can run into issue, though this is extremely unlikely. It would count, I am sure, by most forces as a 'vintage antique' --as it is in the style of an antique firearm with an atypical bore/ammunition type, and is of clear vintage, if not antique, make.. and is likely not in firing condition-- That being said, our firearms regulation is particularly up for interpretation by your local department, and some are not keen on anything that cannot be proven to be an antique, which this, unfortunately cannot be. Is the touch hole drilled? http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/...b438f8.jpg

Cheers,
Hadrian

Historia magistra vitae est
Graham Shearlaw

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Are any marks on the top of barrel? anything that could be a proof or makers mark?

One thing that may help is a good detailed look at the screws, are they modern metric or imperial threads?
An actual antique is unlikely to have modern sized threads but 'replicas' often do.

Contact your local fire arms dealer, they can legally store the gun for you while it's origins and past are inspected.
If it's an actual antique then you can have it back to do with as you wish.
Or if it's not then it can be properly deactivated to keep, sold on, or destroyed or if you really want stored until you get a firearms licence.

The police are legally obliged to destroy all guns handed in to them after history check, so you will not be getting it back.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Origin of gun owned by my late father
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic