Original on which this short sword was based?
This short sword/long dagger by Wulflund caught my eye the other day. The description mentions it's based on an original from the late XVI century, and appears on page 205 of the book Europäische Hieb- und Stichwaffen.

I was just curious if anyone had any more info on the original or a similar sword. I found one in the gallery, except the shell appears to face towards the blade rather than away: http://myArmoury.com/albums/photo/1155.html

Attachment: 100.09 KB
renaissance_short_sword_with_shell_hilt_b.jpg

Sorry for the poor image.

That sword is a loose recreation of the one attached. The replica looks crude to me.

Attachment: 107.35 KB
sword.jpg

Thank you for the image of the original for comparison!

Those hard-edge rectangular fullers on the original remind me of the old Lutel Cinquedea (which I don't think they offer anymore). I'd always thought they looked a little odd, but interesting to see something similar on an antique blade.
David Donovan wrote:
Those hard-edge rectangular fullers on the original remind me of the old Lutel Cinquedea (which I don't think they offer anymore). I'd always thought they looked a little odd, but interesting to see something similar on an antique blade.

Italian blade makers of this time often showcased their skills with very ornate blades containing complex sculpted elements.
David Donovan wrote:
Thank you for the image of the original for comparison!

They're actually fairly common on historical cinquedea, like this one from the myArmoury photo albums.

[ Linked Image ]

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: