First attempt at a scabbard: Albion Gallowglass
After years and years and years (and years) of longing from a distance, I decided it was now-or-never when Albion announced that the Gallowglass run was down to just three remaining swords and ordered one. This is my first not-utterly-terrible sword, and I decided to have a go at making a scabbard for it. All in all, I think it came out fairly well (considering I've absolutely no prior experience with leather or metal work and only the barest minimum experience with wood), and I wanted to share.

Thanks!

[ Linked Image ]
Looks great, first attempt or no! Did you sew up the seam in the back or just glue? That's where my first attempt was most difficult. I just glued but even that didn't come out straight.
Thanks! I'm pretty happy with how it came out, despite a few mishaps here and there. It's stitched up the back; I only used glue to attach the risers to the core and to secure the chape.

Here's a picture before dying the leather. I somehow got the holes out of alignment while punching them, so the seam wanted to pull to the side pretty badly. That said it still came out relatively straight-ish.

[ Linked Image ]
Wow, first one. :eek:
Looks pretty good...guess you'll just have to keep doing them!
Pretty good is an understatement! That looks fantastic for a first attempt! I mirror Joe's thoughts though....buy more scabbardless swords and do it again...and again...and, well, you know. ;) Practice makes perfect! :D ....McM
I'm just curious, but is the wooden core a sandwich or dug-out method? Or is it formed/clamped bent slat style?
It looks excellent either way.
-Terry
If you hadn't " spilled the beans ' and told us that it was your first effort I could have easily believed that it was made by an industry professional. :surprised: :cool:

If this is your skill level starting point you can only get better with making more of them and maybe start making them for other people as a part time business. ( Although it depends on wanting to keep it just as a hobby, or not, but the potential is there ).
Terry Thompson wrote:
I'm just curious, but is the wooden core a sandwich or dug-out method? Or is it formed/clamped bent slat style?
It looks excellent either way.
-Terry

The core is formed from two slats of poplar that I hollowed out (using a router, because I'm impatient). I traced around the blade and then measured the thickness at several points with some digital calipers that I bought specifically for this project/purpose.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

(I may have essentially zero experience with woodworking, my fiancée enjoys doing small projects, so she had several things that came in handy—like a workbench.)

The final shape of the core is asymmetrical, but I only realized that once I'd measured and cut out my leather, so I just went with it, although I did really want to go back and shape it more to get it thinner and more rounded/lenticular. That said, I think it came out well enough.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

If I'm unhappy with any part of it, it would be the chape at end of the scabbard. Of course, having zero experience with metalworking of any kind, I don't know that I should expect any better. I still do want to rip it off and give it another go at some point, since I've still got most of the piece of steel I bought.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

Last edited by Marcus Kouma on Thu 06 Jul, 2017 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thanks for the kind words, everyone! This was a really fun project, and I'm chomping at the bit to do another once I get something to stick in it...
Finally got around to taking some "nicer" pictures and thought I'd throw one in here...

[ Linked Image ]
I'm really liking it. To me it looks like something a soldier would have made and that is miles away from any critisium. I want something exactly like this for my Ghaddhjalt. A commoner wouldn't have money for a super fancy scabbard. He would want something utilitarian and that is the highest compliment I could pay you. Outstanding job!!!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: