Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Upcoming King Arthur movie Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Rod Walker

PostPosted: Sat 13 May, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Costume designers now, need a smack up the side of the head!

Ivanhoe

Knights of the Round Table

Henry V

Just look at how gorgeous these are!

Cheers

Rod
Jouster
www.jousting.com.au

"Come! Let us lay a lance in rest,
And tilt at windmills under a wild sky!
For who would live so petty and unblessed
That dare not tilt at something, ere he die?"
--Errantry, John Galsworthy
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 May, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I grew up with those movies and unfortunately times change...hip hop, heavy metal,hood rats,...etc...the culture demands what it demands...we are a minority now.

Look at what is considered "Medieval" in popular culture...Game of Thrones

This age is creating it's own mythos. From our interpretation of Sherlock Holmes to King Arthur to Ragnar...we can complain all that we want but the truth is just deal with it...heck,the History channel has replaced people actually reading books!!!

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Mon 15 May, 2017 2:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Phil D. wrote:
I grew up with those movies and unfortunately times change...hip hop, heavy metal,hood rats,...etc...the culture demands what it demands...we are a minority now.

Look at what is considered "Medieval" in popular culture...Game of Thrones

This age is creating it's own mythos. From our interpretation of Sherlock Holmes to King Arthur to Ragnar...we can complain all that we want but the truth is just deal with it...heck,the History channel has replaced people actually reading books!!!

Every age since the beginning of abstract thought has created its own mythos. The stories about King Arthur have been re-imagined literally more times than we can tell, beginning hundreds or thousands of years before words like "king" and "Arthur" even existed, and very few - if any - of the (re)authors gave a single thought to anything we would call historical authenticity until very recently. And they weren't necessarily wrong, either! Ultimately, it's just a loose continuum of fictional stories, and historicity only comes into it if you claim your particular interpretation reflects historical reality in some way (like the last big budget King Arthur movie, with its ridiculous "the true story behind the legend" marketing).

Books are not inherently superior to TV - and I say that as a great lover of physical media! - and the kids these days are no more stupid, lazy, ignorant or otherwise worse in any way than we or any of our ancestors were in our day. If anything, the kids these days read more than any generation before them, and just because most of what they read isn't printed on dead trees anymore doesn't make it any less worthy than the stuff that is. I mean, seriously, have you read some of the crap that's been printed in books? Happy

Sturgeon's Law has always been true.

That said, the "black leather for everyone always" aesthetic is a real blight on modern cinematic fantasy. It's almost as bad - and seems to come from the same place - as the thankfully fading trend for excessive bloom and brown everything in "realistic" video games...

PS. And what's wrong with heavy metal, anyway? Them's fighting words, infidel! Razz

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Graham Shearlaw

PostPosted: Mon 15 May, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For a film titled Legend of the Sword the trailer make heavy use of three blokes with tops of haveing a punch up.
So bad movie bingo time.
The villains are copying the nazgul look with back robes and face masks check.
There's a big and point less battle on bridge that miles up in the air, for double points as it both a silly each side charge the other and in a dumb place.
A few Godzilla size elephants, because if you can't think of something fresh just go bigger.
Oh and there's a evil demon guy with the helmet of the death dealer.

I might see it but i'll have to have a few drinks first and shoot holes in it.
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 16 May, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd tolerate any amount of Hollywood nonsense for an action movie with good plot, good dialog, and good acting, but that does not appear to be the case here. The dialog in the radio advertisements is cringe-worthy.

Rotten Tomatoes gives it 26% and says:

"King Arthur: Legend of the Sword piles mounds of modern action flash on an age-old tale -- and wipes out much of what made it a classic story in the first place."

And yet that same site says 79% of audiences liked it. Go figure.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm still recovering from the last King Arthur movie. I won't be watching this one.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Upcoming King Arthur movie
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: