Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Upcoming King Arthur movie Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Mon 01 May, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: sequel         Reply with quote

Maybe the sequel will be better. Which sequel? Well the one where Arthur comes back as promised to take on the Aliens...not Saxon Aliens, Alien Bug Type Aliens... but seriously, saw a trailer the other day, and this looks like garbage, so bad that we will start missing Clive Owen and Keira Knightley...
Bon coeur et bon bras
Michael Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 01 May, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
I can think of two ways to make a good Arthur movie. One would be to set it in in Britain around 450 to 500 AD with Arthur defending the post Roman kingdoms from Saxon incursions. I can only think of one movie that tried this, and it wasn't very good.

I actually kind of liked that particular Arthur movie... But I'm a bit of a Romanophile and it at least placed the story in what most consider (if Arthur actually existed) the correct time period. It was certainly far from perfect, but at the very least it was an original story by Hollyweird standards.
Terry Thompson

PostPosted: Mon 01 May, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think Nathan put it pretty good in the box for me.
Some movies have such bad costuming and armor it is completely distracting to any story they are trying to tell (see First Knight w/Richard Gere). Other movies have anachronistic or fantasy armor and clothing but it's easy to forgive because it still looks good despite being wrong (LOTR, Excalibur, Conan, A Knight's Tale, Kingdom of Heaven [pants!]: all come to mind)
And then we all have varying degrees of what we can tolerate. I think I'm pretty tolerant, but the new Arthur movie is in the Dungeons & Dragons / First Knight level of disturbingly bad costuming.

-Terry
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Mon 01 May, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From those clips, I suspect the armor and costuming may be the *high* points...

Matthew
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 01 May, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think I'll just pass and not worry about it.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Mon 01 May, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah problem is many of us will see it just to witness how terrible it is. I confess I'll probably see it on dvd at some point. I may hate myself for doing it.

What would be great is to have a party of myArms people to watch it and destroy it in as viewed.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 02 May, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What I would like to see is a faithful miniseries adaptation of the Warlord Chronicles. IMO those are three of Bernard Cornwell's best books.
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 02 May, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with the fact that the right setting for a round table movie is in medieval wonderland - as the Arthurian myth was already the stuff of legend for medieval contemporaries. I think Excalibur excelled in that regard (and I don't mind if plate or mail was predominantly used, to me it is beside the point)

I fully agreed about the fact that fantasy A&A should be functional.
Finding relevant information and experts in the google era is child'splay, so to end up with what is seen on the trailer shows little care and dedication for the story being told and the movie being made.
Some common mistakes in the 80's are harder to swallow now (Again Ladyhawke is a good example of horrendous A&A, but performances by Broderick, Hauer & Michele Pfeffer and solid storytelling made this somehow secondary (that is if you can survive the ToTo soundtrack Happy Seeing Jude law roll his eyes and going full evil laugh mode does not promise much in that regard (actually the all thing remind me very much of the grotesque D&D movie made a few decade back featuring Jeremy irons).

Anyway, I won't even waste even the bandwidth needed to stream this abomination - I'm just relieved these punks did not get rights to the Excalibur original movie.

Last edited by Julien M on Tue 02 May, 2017 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Tue 02 May, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't be bothered to watch the trailer, so that's pretty much where I stand with the whole film.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Tue 02 May, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Honestly, I think Hollywood's penchant for trashy leather armour is mostly a matter of cheapness. From a perspective that is only concerned about the bottom line, metal armour is undoubtedly seen as needlessly multiplying your expenses. Those pseudo-leather costumes can probably be thrown together for less than $300 USD per piece. For even a basic suit of plate armour, it's very difficult to find anything for less than $1,000 USD for a full suit. True, you might buy breastplates or mail for less than this, but I suspect most movie makers either aren't aware of this option, or would rather have the full suit of leather for a similar or cheaper cost. At the end of the day, if people pay to see the movie, why the hell would the film makers care if the armour is wrong. Lots of viewers will still think it's cool and you just made thousands of more dollars in profit from cost-cutting measures.
Jomy James

PostPosted: Wed 03 May, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Already excited for that movie Big Grin
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Sat 06 May, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I could maybe partly kinda forgive some of the stylistic stuff if the setup was some guy in the modern world that might be a homeless nutcase, or just maybe Arthur back from Avalon, telling the story to someone in return for a pint... but yeah, nah...
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 13 May, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

According to the latest news, this thing is bombing at theaters. And it *only* cost $175M to make. Yes---you read me right. One-hundred-and-seventy-five-MILLION DOLLARS. Eek! Holy smokes. That's money that could have gone to a LOT better purposes than a cheesy movie that will probably never pay for itself. WTF?! I mean really WTF?! .......McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Alec Cawdor

PostPosted: Sat 13 May, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just saw the movie last night. I am willing to bet it will be the worst movie I see all year. Not recommended except for the fact that I got to hear the new Sam Lee song, "Devil and the Huntsman" on a cinema sound system, which sounded great.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 13 May, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My wife wants to see it for Mothers Day. I hope she gets a good seat! Laughing Out Loud .....McM
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 13 May, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark C. Moore wrote:
According to the latest news, this thing is bombing at theaters. And it *only* cost $175M to make. Yes---you read me right. One-hundred-and-seventy-five-MILLION DOLLARS. Eek! Holy smokes. That's money that could have gone to a LOT better purposes than a cheesy movie that will probably never pay for itself. WTF?! I mean really WTF?! .......McM

Perhaps that's the real way to make money in movies now. Find a sucker for a producer. Spend an unreasonable amount of money on...something...and go to the beach. If enough of that $175 M got pocketed, there quite a few people who never have to work again.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 13 May, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Having worked in the film industry, I can tell you that while independent productions want to penny-pinch, the big boys throw money around in a way less efficient than the American federal government, even the Pentagon, which acts like it was Monopoly money. They would have no problem dropping $40K on a principal actor's armour. I have it on good authority that the T-shirt and jeans worn by Steve Martin in 'Roxanne' cost $4000 (there was a lot of subtle tailoring going on). Tony Swatton, whom I worked with, complained about all the stuff he had made (and been paid well for, no complaints there) that never made it onto the screen. Getting actors to wear full suits of plate is nigh onto impossible, even aluminum. It might go better if the plate smiths that usually work for them actually knew their craft, but the ones that do are not known to them. And, of course, for some utterly incomprehensible reason the costume designers just LOVE leather. You would think metal would be more exotic looking; we don't see it on people much in the modern world, and not much else really looks like it. That's the only thing that gives the plastic armour so often seen in movies any credibility; most people don't know how it looks.
jamesarlen.com
Rod Walker

PostPosted: Sat 13 May, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jesus! Why do they have to make it all so grim and miserable looking? Not to mention just uncomfortable and useless to wear!

This is a Romanesque/fantasy harness I did a few years ago. If I make something that is fantasy, good looking and functional, surely some Hollywood can

Cheers

Rod
Jouster
www.jousting.com.au

"Come! Let us lay a lance in rest,
And tilt at windmills under a wild sky!
For who would live so petty and unblessed
That dare not tilt at something, ere he die?"
--Errantry, John Galsworthy
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 13 May, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think almost any Hollywood weapons/armor/prop maker could take a lesson from just about anyone here on myArmoury. Very nice kit, btw. Love that helmet....not MY thing...but that's way cool. Wink .....McM
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 May, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The truth is no matter how much we complain. We will watch the movies...and just accept leather.

Hollywood has a leather fetish. C'mon, how cold does California get....and in all movies and TV shows they are all still wearing leather jackets (in the middle of summer)...it just looks good.

And being from Texas I am a bit jealous. I have awesome leather jackets and only get 1 week(maybe 2) out of the year to wear them.

PS - Rod, your outfit would be awesome as the Medieval Yul Brynner in Westworld/Medieval World

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Upcoming King Arthur movie
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: