Where did the "gamberson" misspelling come from?
Lately I've been seeing more and more people misspelling "gambeson" as "gamberson" and it's frankly starting to annoy me. Alternative spellings based on medieval ones like "gambeis" or "wambeis" are understandable, but why "gambeRson?" What kind of unprintable unprint started this foolishness?
Oh, that's nothing, you should hear what people do to Latin/Roman terminology. Pili instead of pila, any number of variations on lorica segmentata, caligulae, Romanes eunt domus, you name it.

And the abuses to the dignity of the Greek language? Forgeddaboudit.

Matthew
brigandine, bregander, bregandere, brigandyron, bringandyne, brigantayle, all appear in various texts.
Oops! I am very guilty of this. :lol:

Right, so it's Gambeson?

I think I got the spelling form a video by shadiversity on YouTube.
J. Douglas wrote:
Oops! I am very guilty of this. :lol:

Right, so it's Gambeson?

I think I got the spelling form a video by shadiversity on YouTube.

Scrap that I didn't.

I've got no idea where I got that spelling from at all.
I've heard people say 'gambeRson' in spoken conversation. It could be depending on where one is from. My wife was born and raised in Wisconsin, and sometimes I can -barely- understand a word she says. :lol: ....McM
Mark C. Moore wrote:
My wife was born and raised in Wisconsin, and sometimes I can -barely- understand a word she says. :lol: ....McM

That's because she's your *wife*...

I remember when I was very little, I was surprised to learn that "Chicargo" was spelled without an "R"! No idea where I picked that quirk up, we were never a family that added r's, usually.

Matthew
One of her best is the word 'known'....she ads an 'e' between the 'w' and the 'n'....'knowen'. :wtf: She also says 'boughten', as in: "Gosh, dear, this pie is good. Is it home-made?"---''No, it's boughten from the store." :wtf: :lol: ....McM
Mark C. Moore wrote:
One of her best is the word 'known'....she ads an 'e' between the 'w' and the 'n'....'knowen'. :wtf: She also says 'boughten', as in: "Gosh, dear, this pie is good. Is it home-made?"---''No, it's boughten from the store." :wtf: :lol: ....McM

Never come to Northern Ireland, my friend. You'd catch your death of accents! :lol:
You would likely do the same here in East Texas....US Southerners *certainly* speak a different lingo. :lol: .....McM
Same place we get marscapone cheese, around Fort Warshington.
I've noticed it more often on SCA related forae. Many SCA focused DIY quilted garment articles have reinforced that misspelling of gamebson.

Then there is "spaulder" versus "spaudler." ;-)
Jee you should read some of the medieval inventory counts, every single one of them has different spelling for their items, and its all phonetically spelt. It's pretty horrendous so I can see how many alternate versions of spelling could arise for such an old piece of garb
if you look at some old blacksmiths inventories, the word nail is spelt about 10 different ways: naille nayl naeyl naylle nael nayle

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: