Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Rogue Steel Smallsword Hands-On Review? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Erik Petersen

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Rogue Steel Smallsword Hands-On Review?         Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,
I have been looking at various makers of smallswords used for fencing. From what I have seen from reviews and comments is that the Arms and Armor Smallsword is the top smallsword out there as far as looks and feel, however the price is also very high. It is selling for $650 plus $40 shipping. For that price I can buy a matching set of smallswords from many other makers. I have read through countless reviews and forums regarding the topic and have checked just as many sword maker's websites. Historical accuracy is very important to me. In the end it looks like my journey has led me to Rogue Steel Armory. The issue that I am having is that I have been unable to find a real hands on review of their smallsword. I have only been able to find comments in forums, all of which have been very positive. Does anyone know of a good thorough review of this product? If so please share the link.

If not, does anyone currently have one of these weapons that they use for fencing? If so, in your experience how does this compare to the Arms and Armor sword?

I have included links to both the Arms and Armor Smallsword and the Rogue Steel Smallsword.

http://www.roguesteel.com/store/p4/Smallsword...lebow.html

http://arms-n-armor.com/rapier069.html

Any help with this is much appreciated!

Cheers!
Mike Ruhala

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If historical accuracy matters to you go buy a fencing foil, that was the common training tool for the small sword. As far as anachronistic blunts go Rogue Steel makes some excellent stuff! The fit and finish on the A-A piece will be noticeably better but the Rogue Steel still looks nice. The pommel is threaded on which is good because that means the blade is easily replaced, the handle is delrin or something similar wrapped in leather. The leather is smooth but can be wetted and cord wrapped to improve appearance and texture. I have handled quite a few original small swords, even stabbed somebody with an 18th century sharp(don't worry, the point was covered and he was wearing a heavy plastron) so I feel confident saying they handle within the spectrum of the original sharps. Durability has been excellent as well, mines still going strong after years of regular use. One word of advisement, rogue steel mostly produces for stage combat and those guys grind the nail points off their blades so that's what Rogue Steel does too. Madness if you ask me, request an unaltered point for fencing. While you're at it fit your weapon with a point d'arret, these were a wonderful innovation for simulating sharp combat. The guys using anachronistic rapier blunts would fence very differently if they used historically correct rapier training blades with point d'arret, sharps will readily bite in at angles rubber tipped blunts won't.
Erik Petersen

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. I have been fencing Classical French Foil since 2010. I learned from Maestro Antone Blair and Instructor Benjamin Bowles in Northern California under the umbrella of Martinez Academy in New York. After working on French foil for a few years, I also started learning smallsword. Unfortunately, I moved out of the area and have not been able to find many classical foil (non-sport) or Historical Fencers to continue my training with. I recently moved into the San Diego area and have decided to get back into it. I really appreciate the feedback regarding the Rogue Steel Smallsword. I will definitely be using a point d'arret.
Cheers!
Mike Ruhala

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice! That will give you a good base to work from. Of course if you want to do 18th century style small sword you'll have to adopt some of their affectations but your foil will get you in the ball park. I was taught to think electric fencers were evil but slowly over the years I've learned that isn't the case and many are interested in historical and classical fencing too. Epee and dagger is a good way to entice electric fencers to try our stuff.
Steve Clfton

PostPosted: Tue 28 Mar, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Honestly I have not handled any of the rouge steel products but if you don't mind my saying at a fractionally higher price point you can get a smallsword off of Tom Rockwell of Rockwell Classical Arms that is a casting off of an original. The difference is 60 bucks but Tom is building weapons for classical fencing were rouge is building for the stage. Food for thought. http://www.rockwellclassicalfencing.com/smallswords.html
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 28 Mar, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for that link, Steve! That's a pretty nice looking small sword they show there! I'd buy a couple of those just to cross on the wall. Big Grin .....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Mike Ruhala

PostPosted: Tue 28 Mar, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Rockwell's are beautiful but for a weapon that's going to see a lot of fencing a steel hilt will hold up better. That being said, a Rockwell hilt looks promising as a base for a sharp.
Leelund K

PostPosted: Tue 28 Mar, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you're looking for a good classical foil, I've had good experiences with Benjamin Arms.

http://www.benjaminarms.com/catalog/

Leelund
Erik Petersen

PostPosted: Tue 28 Mar, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Leelund,
I agree. Ben makes some excellent foils as well as some other items. I have been fencing with a Benjamin Arms foil ever since he started offering foils for sale. Unfortunately, he doesn't make smallswords. Otherwise, I would have bought one from him and never needed to risk a purchase with anyone else.

Cheers!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Rogue Steel Smallsword Hands-On Review?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic