Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Aketons are they really necessary? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next 
Stephen Curtin

Reading list: 18 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 09 Apr, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good point Jason.

Håvard Kongsrud wrote:
I would advice against a too close reading of the text. Some artistic license. And the writer got some critisism from Blom 1867 for mixing up the layers of the horsy stuff

Håvard would you mind telling me, in what way was Blom critical towards the author of the King's Mirror?

Éirinn go Brách
Jason O C

PostPosted: Mon 10 Apr, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen. The idea that words like aketon and gambeson could refer to tunics and surcoats, as well as padded garments, would explain the differences between the visual and literary evidence. The problem is that you haven't presented any evidence to support this idea. All the evidence we do have for aketons and gambesons suggests that they were made from either many layers of cloth or from loose fibres sandwiched between layers of cloth. I think a better explanation of the difference between visual and literary evidence is that, arming garments like aketons were not used universally. Check out this image from the mid 14th. This image comes from a time where there can be no argument that padded arming garments were in use, and yet this figure seems to be wearing his mail over a normal tunic.

Jason

Attachment: 59.75 KB
108-10.jpg

Jason O C

PostPosted: Mon 10 Apr, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another thing to consider is, both the King's Mirror and Du Crône, describe the; top of the line, high end, heaviest armour available at the time. Let's say you compared the equipment of two men. One wears a tunic, mail shirt, and surcoat. The other wears aketon, mail shirt, and sleeveless gambeson. I reckon that, all else being equal, the second man's equipment would probably weigh about 8 - 10 lbs more than the first man's. Perhaps this was a factor in deciding between the two options.

Jason
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Mon 10 Apr, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason. More good points. If you've followed this entire thread, then you'll have noticed that my opinion has swung back and forth on whether or not aketons (using the definition from OP again) were used before around 1300. The more I think about it, the more I think that aketons probably were used, but not by all. The idea that the words aketon and gambeson could sometimes refer to stout un-quilted tunics and surcoats was just speculation to explain the apparent lack of arming garments in the Maciejowski Bible. As you say Jason, there is no real evidence to back up this speculation, so it's probably wrong. I still think that there's more to the text of the King's Mirror than the standard translation suggests

Håvard. Here's another one for you. As you know the hirdskraa has three levels of armour for the different levels of society expected to go to war.

Knights were to have a vapntreyju, mail shirt, and a coat of plates.
Hirdsmen were to have a vapntreyju, and either a mail shirt or a panzar.
Candle Bearers and Guests were to have a styrka vapntreyju (strong arming tunic).

So why do you think that there is a distinction made between panzars and styrka vapntreyjus? Wouldn't both be stand alone textile armours?

Éirinn go Brách
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 10 Apr, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The name "aketon" is derived from the French "alcotton" which is derived from the Arabic "al qutn". It suggests that they were adopted after European interaction in Outremer during the 12th C Crusades. I'd suggest looking for 12th-13th C French sources to try and track down the earliest use of "alcotton". It is likely that this word will appear much earlier than the first instance of "aketon".
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Mon 10 Apr, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aymeri de Narbonne, c. 1205-1225, ll. 2811-2

Quote:
2811 Et tresperça le hauberc fremillon
2812 Mès li porpoinz fu desoz d'auqueton

Roughly,
"and cut through the glittering hauberk
and even the pourpoint beneath of cotton."

ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Mon 10 Apr, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mart Shearer wrote:

Quote:

Roughly,

Who is wearing the armour - a Frank or a Saracen?

Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Tue 11 Apr, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is great Mart. This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping someone would share, solid evidence for a quilted arming garment stuffed with raw cotton dated to well before 1300. Thank you.

Here's something you said earlier Mart, that I'd like discuss:

Mart Shearer wrote:
we only see specific mentioning of strong linen (lérepti) which is distinguished within the text from fine linen (linklæði) used in clothing

Here is the part of the original text mentions "linklæði" and "lérepti":

"En linklæði þin þá skaltu láta gera af góðu lérepti ok 
þó lítil efni i; ger stutta skyrtu þina ok öll linklæði létt vel."

And here's Larson's translation:

"Your linen should be made of good 
linen stuff, but with little cloth used; your shirt should 
be short, and all your linen rather light."

I don't think that the author has made a distinction between "linklæði" and "lérepti". In fact the "linklæði" are said to be made from "lérepti" (gera af góðu lérepti). From what I can tell klæði can be translated as clothes, so linklæði would be linen clothes aka underwear. This also makes sense as the text tells us that the linklæði should be made from light material and should be cut short so as not to be seen below the kyrtle.

Éirinn go Brách
Jason O C

PostPosted: Tue 11 Apr, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another nice find Mr. Shearer. Thank you for sharing.

Stephen Curtin wrote:
I still think that there's more to the text of the King's Mirror than the standard translation suggests

If I'm right then one of the things that's bothering you the most about the text, is that both the man's hoes and the
panzars are made from the same kind of blackened linen. Just because they are made from the same type of material doesn't imply that the were made in a similar manner. Let's say that the hoes were made from a single layer of blackened linen. The panzars could still be made like an aketon or gambeson, with a blackened linen shell, padded with tow or cotton.

Jason
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Tue 11 Apr, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason. Pretty much all of the garments are said, or implied, to be made from linen which is discribed as soft and "vel svörtuðum" (which I take to mean well worn). Now the fact that a lot of emphasis has been placed on the linen needing to be soft and worn, makes me think that this softness played a large roll in the function of these garments. If these panzars were made from linen shells, stuffed with cotton or tow, then the softness of the linen wouldn't matter so much, because the loose fibres would provide all the softness needed. So that's why I think the garments in the King's Mirror were made from multiple layers of linen, rather than stuffed with cotton or tow.

If I remember correctly both the London armourer's regulations of 1322, and the ordinances of Louis XI mention the use of old worn cloth for the internal layers of textile armours. Also I can't remember which sources mentioned this, but some writers noted that the softer a textile armour was, the better it protected. Old worn linen would of course be softer than new linen. This is why I think soft and well worn linen is a better translation than soft and thoroughly blackened, but that's just my opinion.

If I am correct (not that I'll ever be able to prove it) and the arming garments in the King's Mirror were made from multiple layers of linen, then it makes sense that each garment would be made from a different number of layers. The hose might have only been 1 or 2 layers, while the panzar intended as stand-alone armour might have been up to 30, and all of the other garments being somewhere between these two extremes.

Éirinn go Brách
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Tue 11 Apr, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason. Here is the other issue that I have with the text of the King's Mirror.

With the exception of the "brjóstbjörg" (breastplate(s)), both the horse and the rider are equipped with three layers of protection, a mail harness sandwiched between two linen garments.

As both of the rider's linen garments are called panzars, and both of the horse's linen garments are said to be made in the manner of panzars (gört sem panzari), I think that it's fair to draw parallels between the two sets of garments.

The rider's inner layer is called a "blautan panzara" (soft panzar), and it reaches down to the middle of the things.
The horse's inner layer is called a "kovertúr" (covering), and is made from "blautum léreptum" (soft linen) and "vel svörtuðum" (well worn). The author does mention that the covering can be decorated as one likes, which is strange as this layer goes underneath everything, so any decoration wouldn't be seen.

So anyway. Both inner layers are described as soft, though only the kovertúr is said to be "vel svörtuðum", and I'm not sure if this is significant or not.

The rider's outer layer is called a "góðan panzara" (good panzar), and is said to be made in the manner already described except without sleeves. I'm not sure if this manner already described refers to the thigh length of the soft panzar, or to the well worn cloth of earlier garments.
The horse's outer layer is called a "grima" (caparison), and is made from "stirðu lérepti" (stiff/rigid linen).

This is what confuses me. I could understand if the good panzar was said to be stiff or rigid, but caparisons, as far as I know, were soft and flexible, basically the horse's equivalent of a surcoat.

This is also where I got the idea that the rider's good panzar might actually have been a surcoat. If the horse's caparison is said to have been made like a panzar, then maybe a panzar could be made like a caparison. Hence panzar sometimes = surcoat. Of course this all relies on me being correct about grima meaning caparison.

Éirinn go Brách
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Tue 11 Apr, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Mart Shearer wrote:

Quote:

Roughly,

It seems to be the treasonous Frank, Hugh. (Hugon, Hugues in the text.)

Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Tue 11 Apr, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen Curtin wrote:
Here's something you said earlier Mart, that I'd like discuss:

Mart Shearer wrote:
we only see specific mentioning of strong linen (lérepti) which is distinguished within the text from fine linen (linklæði) used in clothing

-------------
I don't think that the author has made a distinction between "linklæði" and "lérepti". In fact the "linklæði" are said to be made from "lérepti" (gera af góðu lérepti). From what I can tell klæði can be translated as clothes, so linklæði would be linen clothes aka underwear. This also makes sense as the text tells us that the linklæði should be made from light material and should be cut short so as not to be seen below the kyrtle.

En linklæði þin þá skaltu láta gera af góðu lérepti ok
þó lítil efni i; ger stutta skyrtu þina ok öll linklæði létt vel. Ætla
jafnan góðum mun styttri skyrtu bina en kyrtil, þviat engi maðr
hœfeskr sik prúðan fá gört af hör eða hampi.

Larson:
Your linen should be made of good
linen stuff, but with little cloth used; your shirt should
be short, and all your linen rather light. Your shirt
should be cut somewhat shorter than your coat; for no
man of taste can deck himself out in flax or hemp.

Modern Icelandic is the most direct link to the Old Norse.
ON, Ic linklæði = linen cloth
ON lérepti, Ic lérefti = canvas
ON, Ic hör = flax
ON, Ic hampi = hemp

Making lingerie from canvas seems unwelcome, as does wearing raw flax. The changes in meaning may be lost in time.

Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Tue 11 Apr, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mart from what I can find online, klæði can mean either cloth or clothing, and lérept means linen in Old Norse. Perhaps we need someone with more experience with the language to chime in, but given the context I think my interpretation fits fairly well.
Éirinn go Brách
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Tue 11 Apr, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mart Shearer wrote:
Dan Howard wrote:
Mart Shearer wrote:

Quote:

Roughly,

Very cool. It is an early reference to aketons and evidence that they were made of cotton.

Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Tue 11 Apr, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are the dictionary entries I've found for léreft and klæði:

http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/Icel...mit=Search

http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/Icel...mit=Search

Éirinn go Brách
Jason O C

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen Curtin wrote:
Now the fact that a lot of emphasis has been placed on the linen needing to be soft and worn, makes me think that this softness played a large roll in the function of these garments. If these panzars were made from linen shells, stuffed with cotton or tow, then the softness of the linen wouldn't matter so much, because the loose fibres would provide all the softness needed. So that's why I think the garments in the King's Mirror were made from multiple layers of linen, rather than stuffed with cotton or tow.

This speculation seems reasonable enough to me.

Stephen Curtin wrote:
This is also where I got the idea that the rider's good panzar might actually have been a surcoat. If the horse's caparison is said to have been made like a panzar, then maybe a panzar could be made like a caparison. Hence panzar sometimes = surcoat. Of course this all relies on me being correct about grima meaning caparison.

As you say all of this speculation about panzars and surcoats, relies on your interpretation of the word "grima". Without more evidence, I think it's safer to interpret the two panzars as an aketon and a gambeson.

Jason
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gríma is a mask or face covering.
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yep from what I've found grima meant a mask or a hood. Now a caparison covers the whole horse, but the grima is only discribed as covering the head and neck, so this is one argument against grima = caparison. This could be because the function of the grima was to protect the bridle, so most important bit to describe was the head and neck area.
Éirinn go Brách
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Mart Shearer wrote:
Dan Howard wrote:
Mart Shearer wrote:

Quote:

Roughly,

Very cool. It is an early reference to aketons and evidence that they were made of cotton.

Or not. My rubbish French tells me that line 2812 could also be translated "But/also the pourpoint that was beneath the aketon." It does name the aketon but doesn't explicitly say that it meant or was made of cotton.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Aketons are they really necessary?
Page 8 of 12 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: