Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Aketons are they really necessary? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next 
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Sat 25 Mar, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ed W. wrote:
Stephen Curtin wrote:
Does anyone here know if 13th century caparisons were padded and quilted? AFAIK caparisons were basically the horse's equivalent of surcoats, and visual evidence suggests that they were un-quilted, but lined like the surcoats in the Mac Bible

Hi Stephen, I'm not so familiar with the literary sources, but I've done a fair bit of searching the pictorial sources for 13th C equestrian gear, and have not come across anything to suggest caparisons were padded. Ie, no vertical or horizontal stitching lines indicating quilting.

Very early 14th century, with a likely late-13th century use:
Inventory of Raoul de Nesle, Constable of France, killed 1302, Battle of Courtrai.
Item une couvertures a cheval pourpointée ii testieres de soie a cheval iii chapiaus de Montauban iii hiaumes et i baehinet vernicié viiil xvis
Item, one pourpoint horse bard, 2 silk testiers for the horse, 3 kettle hats of Montauban, 3 helms, and 1 varnished bascinet. 8 l., 16 s.

The testier on the seal die of Robert Fitzwalter, 1213-1219 might be of similar construction.

Attachment: 222.14 KB
BM Seal-die Rbt. Fitzwalter.jpg

ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Stephen Curtin

Reading list: 18 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 25 Mar, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Eirik. I could be mistaken but this text seems to be describing garments worn instead of armour rather than under it.

Thanks Sean for the clarification. The linea = linen thread thing was bothering me. Linen cloth makes more sense in the context of the passage.

Mart I think that you are right that the corium excoctum is a cuir bouilli defence, and so not likely to be the top layer of quilted garment. I think that the horse's pourpoint in de Nesle's inventory is probably a aketon-like garment intended for under the horse's mail. The silk testiers don't mention anything about padding or quilting, nor does the testier on FitzWalter's seal appear (to me anyway) to be quilted.

Éirinn go Brách
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Sat 25 Mar, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Håvard, thanks for the reply. In answer to the two points you feel are under-communicated in threads like this;

1. How universal do I consider my interpretation?

Well my interpretation used to be that by the 13th century everyone wore an aketon under their hauberk. I now believe that some did wear aketons, while others wore arming tunics, made from at least 2 layers of stout cloth, or a single thick layer of felt. In the OP of this thread, I said that I didn't know of any evidence for aketons worn under mail prior to about 1300. I've since seen a reference to an aketon worn under mail in the 1180s, and although this reference doesn't specify the construction of the aketon, based on its early date, I'd be willing to bet that the etymology of the word aketon = cotton had not yet lost its meaning (if it ever did). I was unaware that the sleeve of St Martin had iron oxide on its exterior. This is indeed more evidence of aketons prior to 1300. I also used believe that the garments described in the King's Mirror were stuffed and quilted, though I now have my doubts. I think that it's possible that words such as wambeis and panzar did sometimes refer to stuffed and quilted garments, but might also have sometimes referred to layered (but not quilted) garments.

2. How thick were these garments?

It probably varied depending on the individual. I'd say anywhere from 2 to 8 layers of cloth, or the equivalent thickness in cotton stuffed between an inner and outer layer of cloth, or the equivalent thickness in felt.

Éirinn go Brách
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Sat 25 Mar, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I always go back to the comparison with pants. If I were German, I might use a different word, Hose. Even in American English, I might say that I am wearing pants, khakis, BDUs, or cargo pants, all when speaking about the same piece of clothing. Not all pants are also khakis or BDU's, etc. Not all BDUs are pants.

Some words are interchangable, while other describe some specific feature. It is possible that an aketon could also be described as a gambeson or as a pourpoint, but this might not always be the case.

Gambeson/wambais seems to be ultimately be derived from the word for belly, which also gives us the modern English womb. So we would conclude it is a body armor. Yet we have gamboissed cuisses, where the word has been turned into an adjective meaning "made like a gambeson". Mail hauberks make a similar transformation where we find gauntlets or horse bardings de haubergerie, of hauberk-work, i.e. mail. Aketon seems to be derived from the Arabic word for cotton, but if the center is full of linen tow, is it any longer an aketon? Pourpoint seems to derive from per punctus meaning punctured or sewn through. Doublet simply implies something made of doubled layers. The later Jack seems to take it's name from the everyman - Jacques, so implies an armor for commoners. Jupon aso seems to have its roots in the Arabic long gown known as the jubba (Arabic جُبّه‎‎), but what distinguishes it from the others is also uncertain.

Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Getting back to the subject of arming garments in the Viking Age for just a moment. This thread has veered way off where I originally intended it to go, but I'm not complaining, I've enjoyed the discussion, and I'm glad that it managed to stay civil for once.

As I said earlier, one of the arguments why the Vikings "must have" used an aketon under their mail, is because the Romans used subarmalis. I don't think that this is a good argument. There is no evidence that the Romans ever used a stuffed and quilted arming garment. The Pliny and De Re Bellicis references suggest that Roman arming garments were made from felt. Felt can be made very thick, so it doesn't need to be layered. Also felt doesn't need to be quilted between layers of cloth to hold itself together. I believe that there are traces of felt lining the inside of some of the surviving examples of Roman helmets and greaves.

So if the idea of arming garments under mail carried on after the Romans, and through to the High Medieval period, then this garment was probably a thick felt tunic, and not an aketon-like garment. The idea of cotton stuffed arming garments probably came to Europe through contact with the Holy Land during the crusades. There is one well known reference to crusaders wear mail in combination with a thick felt garment, but unfortunately the author (Saladin's biographer) doesn't mention whether this felt garment was worn under the mail or over it. This could be evidence of a native European tradition of arming garment, which eventually got replaced by aketons.

Other than this, the only other evidence that I know of for felt arming garments in Europe, is that recently some 17th century "buff coats" have been found to have been made from felt, and not buff leather.

As for the argument that aketons were worn in the Viking Age because without them mail is "useless". Though this has not been argued on this thread, I've seen this argument so many times that I had to talk about it. As Dan Howard has pointed out on other threads the main threats on the battlefield in the age of mail were spears and arrows. Of course the first line of defence against these threats were large shields. If a spear point or an arrow did get around the shield, and struck someone on their mail, then I believe that the mail was enough to handle it. Could the blunt impact of this strike cause bruised flesh and perhaps broken bones? Yes of course, but it still saved lives. A comparison could be made to modern ballistic vests. These vests stop bullets from entering a human torso, but do nothing cushion the impact. This is very similar to mail, and yet law enforcement officers wear these vests without any padding underneath.

The Maciejowski Bible and King's Mirror were brought into this thread to show that even in a time when aketons were used, they were not universal, and so in earlier centuries might not have been used at all. They have now become the focus of this thread, but as I said, I'm not complaining. I'm enjoying the discussion, so thank you all for the replies.

Éirinn go Brách
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen Curtin wrote:
As I said earlier, one of the arguments why the Vikings "must have" used an aketon under their mail, is because the Romans used subarmalis. I don't think that this is a good argument. There is no evidence that the Romans ever used a stuffed and quilted arming garment. The Pliny and De Re Bellicis references suggest that Roman arming garments were made from felt. Felt can be made very thick, so it doesn't need to be layered. Also felt doesn't need to be quilted between layers of cloth to hold itself together. I believe that there are traces of felt lining the inside of some of the surviving examples of Roman helmets and greaves.

We suspect that Romans wore a subarmalis under their segmentata. Scale armour had its own padding and had no need of a subarmalis. We have no clue whether Roman mail had integrated padding or a separate arming garment. IMO integrated padded liners were more common with mail (from all cultures and time periods) than we suspect.

The greave liner found at Dura Europos was made from twined linen, not felt. Sea sponge also seems to have been commonly used as an armour liner.

Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan I agree. We don't know whether Romans used a padded liner, or a separate arming garment under their mail. My point was that IF the Romans did use a separate arming garment under their mail, then it was most likely a thick felt tunic, and not a stuffed and quilted garment.

Well felt was definitely used for Roman helmet liners / arming caps, or am I mistaken on that too? I remember reading somewhere that a felt greave liner was found somewhere. Perhaps whoever told me that was wrong. Ancient Rome is an area that I only look into occasionally. You say that there was a linen greave liner found as Dura Europos, do you know how this liner was constructed, was this liner made from multiple layers etc?

Éirinn go Brách

Last edited by Stephen Curtin on Sun 26 Mar, 2017 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2017 3:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Twined linen is just as likely as felt.
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mart. Yes I understand your pants analogy, and I don't disagree with anything you said. Panzar also seems to come from a word (pans) which meant belly. This seems too coincidental to not be connected in some way to wamba > wambeis.

Getting back to the King's Mirror.

All of these garments are described as being made from soft and thoroughly blackened linen cloth; the panzar from the naval combat section, the horse's "kovertúr", and the rider's hoes.

Both the armour breaches, and the sleeveless good panzar are "made in the manner that has already been described". To me this sounds like the author meant that these two garments were also made from "soft and thoroughly blackened linen cloth".

Then there are two garments which aren't described as being made from soft and thoroughly blackened linen cloth. There's the horse's "grima" which is made of stiff linen (stirðu lérepti), and there's the rider's soft panzar, which isn't described at all.

I'm not sure if the fact that the soft panzar is not described as "soft and thoroughly blackened" is significant or not. What do the rest of you think?

Éirinn go Brách

Last edited by Stephen Curtin on Sun 26 Mar, 2017 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sean Manning

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The elephant in the room in these discussions is the Japanese. We know what they usually wore under their mail sleeves and it was not a lot (three layers of built-in padding, over a two-layer short-sleeved kimono). Worked for them!

Mart Shearer wrote:
Might the leather even be a top layer over the linen, as the Dublin fragment seem to be, or as the later Burgundian Ordinance calls for as a deerskin over the multi-layered jack?

The curie is underneath something, and induere is the normal verb for putting on clothing, while I can't recall it being used for the production of garments. But again, someone who was 'tuned in' to Scholastic Latin might see things I can't see on a quick read!

For the same reason, I tried to translate coctum and excoctum without implying that they are closer to either "baked" or "boiled" given all the debates about how cuir boile was actually made. Someone with a lot of experience in that phase of Latin might have evidence for a more specific translation. Lots of work which anyone willing to take a couple of years of Latin and spend some time could do!
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Manning wrote:
The elephant in the room in these discussions is the Japanese. We know what they usually wore under their mail sleeves and it was not a lot (three layers of built-in padding, over a two-layer short-sleeved kimono). Worked for them!

I'm not sure if you noticed, but I raised the same point earlier. So that's 5 layers of cloth under mail sleeves. The kusari katabira I posted earlier had 5 layers surrounding a layer of mail, worn over two undershirts would make 7 layers altogether surrounding the torso section of a mail shirt.

Éirinn go Brách

Last edited by Stephen Curtin on Sun 26 Mar, 2017 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Håvard Kongsrud

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen Curtin wrote:
As you say, caparisons seem to be made like surcoats. So if the "grima" in the King's Mirror is in fact a caparison, then I think that the sleeveless panzar is most likely a surcoat. ... We all know that words such as aketon, gambeson, panzar etc, were at times used interchangeably. What I'm suggesting is that at least sometimes, some of these words could be used for garments such as surcoats, or un-quilted but stout tunics worn under mail.

I would consider this a rather radical position. Yes, we know of civillian use of quilted garments using the name of their martial equivalent (st Louis' sister st. Isabelle's aketon from 1270 mentioned in a 1325 inventory is in fact a civilian quilted, padded garment (Tina Anderlini 2015:67), but I believe you would be hard pressed to find the martial words mentioned above on garments with no resemblance. I would consider the opposite to be more likely,

Stephen Curtin wrote:
Panzar also seems to come from a word (pans) which meant belly. This seems too coincidental to not be connected in some way to wamba > wambeis.
Yep. Problem is, if we follow older historiography, it is only after it crosses Skagerrak (I'm not well versed in more recent Swedish, Danish and German historiography) the word panzer seem to be constricted to mean textile armour for the torso only. At least in Middle High German a wider definition of this word seem to have been in use, including plate armour covering the torso. (If this is not just a result of the lexicographers' inclusion of 15th centuy instances of the word, that is.)

According to Københavns University's Dictionary of Old Norse Prose, the earliest instance of the word panzar is the early 13th century Sverre's saga. Off course, this beeing among the oldest extant prose, the word could have been introduced earlier.

Interestingly, the alternative word for textile armour, treyja, was introduced too in Norway in the first half of the 13th century, and in Sweden and Denmark too, as a Middle Low German loan meaning something like "textile from Troyes". The Norwegian linguist Didrik Arup Seip (1955: 211) does not place it among the "knightly" loan words so common in the era, a mistake on his part, I would say.

Stephen Curtin wrote:
I'm not sure if the fact that the soft panzar is not described as "soft and thoroughly blackened" is significant or not. What do the rest of you think?
I would advice against a too close reading of the text. Some artistic license. And the writer got some critisism from Blom 1867 for mixing up the layers of the horsy stuff, all though this is not something I've looked into. An interesting interpretation on the Hewitt disiple Otto Blom's side, though, is on "the blackened" which he suggest to mean something like "roughed up".
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does anyone have the exact source of the "felt coats" worn by Richard I's men on the Third Crusade? I have seen it cited as being Arabic and Latin, but have never found the specific document.
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mart here is the relevant passage from Saladin's biography:

"The enemy had already formed in order of battle; the infantry, drawn up in front of the cavalry, stood firm as a wall, and every foot-soldier wore a vest of thick felt and a coat of mail so dense and strong that our arrows made no impression on them. They shot at us with their great arbalists, wounding the Moslem horses and their riders. I saw some (of the Frank foot- soldiers) with from one to ten arrows sticking in them, and still advancing at their ordinary pace without leaving the ranks."

The full text can be found here:

https://archive.org/stream/lifesaladin00condgoog/lifesaladin00condgoog_djvu.txt

Éirinn go Brách
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mart Shearer wrote:
Does anyone have the exact source of the "felt coats" worn by Richard I's men on the Third Crusade? I have seen it cited as being Arabic and Latin, but have never found the specific document.

I'm pretty sure I used the full citation in the Mail Unchained article. Unfortunately I had to rely on a translation similar to the one above and there is no way to know how accurate it is. Assuming it is correct, there is no way to tell whether the felt was worn underneath or whether it was worn over the top.

Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Håvard. Yes I know that some of the ideas that I've put forward might seem a bit "radical", and I could well be very wrong about all of this. My take on the meaning of "vel svörtuðum", is that instead of meaning thoroughly blackened, it meant (not literally) well worn. I believe that there is at least one references that states that used linen was preferred to new linen for textile armours, because it had been rendered flexible.
Éirinn go Brách

Last edited by Stephen Curtin on Mon 27 Mar, 2017 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Philip Dyer

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Mart Shearer wrote:

I'm pretty sure I used the full citation in the Mail Unchained article. Unfortunately I had to rely on a translation similar to the one above and there is no way to know how accurate it is. Assuming it is correct, there is no way to tell whether the felt was worn underneath or whether it was worn over the top.

How would the chronicler know about the material or shape of the garment when being worn on the field if the garment was worn under the hauberk? The passage would have probably read that our arrows made no impression on their dense mail.
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Philip. If the felt garment was worn under the mail, then the only way for a Muslim scholar to know of this, is if he had seen or heard of armour being stripped from dead enemies.
Éirinn go Brách
Henry O.

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
The energy required to compromise the mail stays the same regardless of how thick the padding is.. All that changes is the amount of energy required to punch through the padding. The main problem with modern testing is that the test surface is rarely as movable and yielding as a human being. Any restriction in the mail's ability to shift under the attack will compromise its capacity to stop weapons.

Are you sure? Wouldn't thicker padding mean that the mail is able to shift more at impact and less likely to fail?

---

Anyways, another thought about composite armor.

Looking at this article by David Jones: http://www.academia.edu/5520314/Arrows_Agains...her_Armour

From the tests, just 16 layers of linen on its own offered fairly good protection against an unsharpened arrowhead and the "bodkin"-like arrowheads tested. Even the "needle bodkin" had its penetration significantly reduced. Against the flatter, sharper broadheads the linen didn't help much (with the widest arrowhead penetrating the best), but these would have been more likely to dull or deform on impact with a layer of metal mail or plate.

I do wonder though whether the linen would have permitted better if the layers were glued together. Or if the outer layer had been soaked in some sort of resin or whatever "blackening" is.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Henry O. wrote:
Are you sure? Wouldn't thicker padding mean that the mail is able to shift more at impact and less likely to fail?

You don't need padding to perform this function when the armour is worn by a human being.

Quote:
Anyways, another thought about composite armor.

Looking at this article by David Jones: http://www.academia.edu/5520314/Arrows_Agains...her_Armour

From the tests, just 16 layers of linen on its own offered fairly good protection against an unsharpened arrowhead and the "bodkin"-like arrowheads tested. Even the "needle bodkin" had its penetration significantly reduced. Against the flatter, sharper broadheads the linen didn't help much (with the widest arrowhead penetrating the best), but these would have been more likely to dull or deform on impact with a layer of metal mail or plate.

I do wonder though whether the linen would have permitted better if the layers were glued together. Or if the outer layer had been soaked in some sort of resin or whatever "blackening" is.

All you need is proper quilting. None of these tests have involved linen that was quilted properly.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Aketons are they really necessary?
Page 5 of 12 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: