Spear, sword, seax...
Hi folks,

Just an update on things I've been working on:

First is this Migration period ring-sword with pattern welded blade. This was commissioned and was intended to be an artistic expression of the style. It is a 5-bar blade with iron, copper, brass and mammoth bone grip. The weight is 1 pound and 10 oz.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

Next up is a pattern welded viking knife with a relic/artifact story behind it:

[ Linked Image ]

And lastly... a Viking spear based on the huge 'lances' that were made in the Frankish areas of Germany and imported into Scandinavia. I tried to be as close to the orginals as possible but ended up being contrained by the pattern welded billet. So my version is less wide and less thick at the socket/blade junction. The length of the spear/socket is 27". I've carved a short 'hewn' haft to go along with it as making one in full length would make shipping difficult. The haft is easily removed via pins and a full length can easily be made for it.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

This spear is currently available and more information and pictures can be seen here:

http://www.bigrockforge.com/vignestr-war-needle/

I also have a few more things including a gladius and the Castillon dagger:

http://www.bigrockforge.com/category/available/

Thank you and I'm looking forward to comments.
One pound, ten, on that sword? :surprised: Wow! Beautiful works! I think the 'shorty' spear is kinda cool as-is... :D ...But then, I only stand 5'-7''... :lol: ...........McM
Mark Moore wrote:
One pound, ten, on that sword? :surprised: Wow! Beautiful works! I think the 'shorty' spear is kinda cool as-is... :D ...But then, I only stand 5'-7''... :lol: ...........McM

Thanks Mark... I forgot to mention blade length...it's 27.5 which is part of it. But it's also a thin blade. This is the first sword of this period that I've made which feels so lively... and probably not very historically accurate. My customer wanted this.

As to the short spear haft.. It does feel very powerful and useful this way. And according to Egil's saga... there maybe precedence.
I get your POINT, Scott. (pun totally intended) :lol: ......McM
I'm a poor sob or I'd hop on that spear in a heartbeat. It's absolutely gorgeous pattern-welded work. The sword is an incredible piece; and historically accurate or not it's another piece I'd covet if I weren't so poor. Oh well, at least I'll enjoy the view from here. Funny enough, the sizes and weights of those pieces I think are perfect, but then again I'm also only 5'3", myself.

I normally only "lurk" through this section of the forums, but these pieces were beautiful enough I felt an absolute need to chime in. Simply awe inspiring.
Ben Joy wrote:
I'm a poor sob or I'd hop on that spear in a heartbeat. It's absolutely gorgeous pattern-welded work. The sword is an incredible piece; and historically accurate or not it's another piece I'd covet if I weren't so poor. Oh well, at least I'll enjoy the view from here. Funny enough, the sizes and weights of those pieces I think are perfect, but then again I'm also only 5'3", myself.

I normally only "lurk" through this section of the forums, but these pieces were beautiful enough I felt an absolute need to chime in. Simply awe inspiring.

Thank you very much for the comments Ben...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: