Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Norman maces Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 12 Mar, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No idea. I don't think there are any illustrations showing someone wearing one.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
J. Douglas

PostPosted: Sun 12 Mar, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
No idea. I don't think there are any illustrations showing someone wearing one.

Oh, okay. Thanks anyway!

Personally I'd take a mace as my percussion weapon in a medieval battle. Flails are just too.... Confusing. Confused (by that I mean "difficult" and you would have to make certain adjustments to wear and fight with them properly)

~JD (James)
Graham Shearlaw

PostPosted: Sun 12 Mar, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Douglas wrote:

Just wondering- when they were used (rarely, of course) how would they be carried? I

Just with the chain wrapped over a belt.

Given how impracticable and dangers to the user a flail was, it's easy to see why we barely find them in art or text.

Sure on a theoretical level one can deliver a lot of energy if you can get the ball up to speed.
But how do you do that and stay safe-ish? do you use it like a Short bullwhip? or try helicopter spins over your head?
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 13 Mar, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's the closest depiction I've seen in artwork of a flail like mine. I've only swung mine once, and can tell you now---the 'short bullwhip' idea is a no-go, and helicoptering it overhead would be just......stupid. Eek! I've taken up some slack in the chain (31") to shorten it, and that makes it semi-useable. There IS NO WAY to get the thing moving quickly, as is. As I stated earlier, I just bought it for the 'wow factor'. This would be THE LAST weapon I would want in a real battle, and it would probably be MY LAST battle due to killing myself with my own weapon! Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud It now enjoys a comfy retirement in my 'man-cave' on a shelf behind a locked door...right where it should be. Wink .....Thanks for posting that photo! Big Grin .............McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Arne G.

PostPosted: Mon 13 Mar, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
That's the closest depiction I've seen in artwork of a flail like mine. I've only swung mine once, and can tell you now---the 'short bullwhip' idea is a no-go, and helicoptering it overhead would be just......stupid. Eek! I've taken up some slack in the chain (31") to shorten it, and that makes it semi-useable. There IS NO WAY to get the thing moving quickly, as is. As I stated earlier, I just bought it for the 'wow factor'. This would be THE LAST weapon I would want in a real battle, and it would probably be MY LAST battle due to killing myself with my own weapon! Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud It now enjoys a comfy retirement in my 'man-cave' on a shelf behind a locked door...right where it should be. Wink .....Thanks for posting that photo! Big Grin .............McM

The chain is really too long on yours. AFAIK the rule of thumb is that the chain should be short enough that the head cannot reach the hand. So assuming a one handed flail, the chain + head length should be less than the length from the end of the haft to where the grip is.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Mon 13 Mar, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, I'm aware of that. Thanks. As I said, I CAN shorten up the chain length(using a rock-climbing carabiner) and make it a *little more* user-friendly. Wink It's still dangerous as hell any way you look at it....and looking at it is ALL that should be done with it. It's a display-case queen and always will be. Wink I normally only collect functional weaponry....and functional IT IS...but I just had to have it. Laughing Out Loud ......McM
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Mon 13 Mar, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I put it in the same league with my Hanwei Lowlander....I don't need a sword as long as I am tall. But, just had to have it simply to make people say "Holy s**t, that's a big sword!". Laughing Out Loud .....McM
J. Douglas

PostPosted: Mon 13 Mar, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
I put it in the same league with my Hanwei Lowlander....I don't need a sword as long as I am tall. But, just had to have it simply to make people say "Holy s**t, that's a big sword!". Laughing Out Loud .....McM

Well, The lowlands could be useful if a punch of armoured soldiers with pikes ever try to besiege your house.

Which is likely to happen... Isin't it? Eek!

~JD (James)
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Mon 13 Mar, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well...In case THAT happens, that's what my Remington 12ga. pump is for. Wink Laughing Out Loud .....McM
J. Douglas

PostPosted: Mon 13 Mar, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
Well...In case THAT happens, that's what my Remington 12ga. pump is for. Wink Laughing Out Loud .....McM

Laughing Out Loud

Or you could call the police. But the former is a bit funner. Laughing Out Loud

~JD (James)
J. Douglas

PostPosted: Mon 13 Mar, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just wondering, want are your perffered "blunt" "Hitty" or bludgending weapons? Maces? War hammers? Axes? Poleaxes? Anything else?

Not looking for particular eras, but just what do you think we're the best weapons? (And I guess what do you like aesthetically to)

I personally like maces. Not the spiky morning star ones, though. The flanged and knobbed ones. Big Grin

~JD (James)
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Mon 13 Mar, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you are addressing ME personally, I like axes and war-hammers best. No particular reason....mostly for looks, I guess. My next major purchase will probably be a big Dane-style axe....most likely the big Cold Steel two-hander. Big Grin But...heck....I like 'em ALL. Big Grin Laughing Out Loud .......McM
J. Douglas

PostPosted: Mon 13 Mar, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
If you are addressing ME personally, I like axes and war-hammers best. No particular reason....mostly for looks, I guess. My next major purchase will probably be a big Dane-style axe....most likely the big Cold Steel two-hander. Big Grin But...heck....I like 'em ALL. Big Grin Laughing Out Loud .......McM
nom not you personally. everyone. Big Grin

I mean, Dane axes are amazing! I agree with you on that. It will be a well-worth-it purchase, I'm sure. Big Grin

~JD (James)
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 13 Mar, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dane axes don't help when you are facing an enemy with a line of archers. You need to hope that your neighbour has a shield that is large enough to cover both of you.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Mon 13 Mar, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm in the process of building a Viking shield at this very moment! Big Grin .....McM
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Mon 13 Mar, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud Besides, I only fight the dumb bad guys who don't use archers! Laughing Out Loud .........McM
Graham Shearlaw

PostPosted: Mon 13 Mar, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Dane axes don't help when you are facing an enemy with a line of archers. You need to hope that your neighbour has a shield that is large enough to cover both of you.

Hence no ever seem to have two handed military flails it almost like no one wants to stand near you swing it around.
(The torches and pitchforks brigade often has grain threshing flails but i think it's more visual short hand for angry farmers then a chosen weapon.)

Mark Moore wrote:
There IS NO WAY to get the thing moving quickly, as is.

What's the head/ball's weight roughly ?
I'm just wondering what the moment of inertia is in comparison to mace or a sword.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Mon 13 Mar, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is a RitterSteel Authentics , sold by Kult of Athena. They advertise the weight at 5 pound, 13 oz. The handle and chain doesn't amount to that much really...so....I would *guess* that the head alone weighs somewhere between 3-1/2-to-4 pounds. As far as I can tell, the 'ball' is solid--not hollow. It's a meaty chunk of steel....for sure. Suicide on a stick....that's what I call it. Eek! Laughing Out Loud Comparing inertia to a sword, axe, mace, or ANY other weapon is incalculable, as far as I'm concerned. What I do know is this: Concerning this particular weapon...IF you manage a swift, solid hit...somebody is NOT getting out lightly on the receiving end. Wink Hence all my earlier comments on it....this thing scares the crap outta me. Eek! WTF?! ....McM
J. Douglas

PostPosted: Tue 14 Mar, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
Laughing Out Loud Besides, I only fight the dumb bad guys who don't use archers! Laughing Out Loud .........McM

Laughing Out Loud I also fight the baddies who don't use shields or spears or archers.

In other words I fight with every Hollywood Army.

~JD (James)
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 14 Mar, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Two-handed flails did see serious military use at times, most notably in the Hussite Wars in the 15th century.

Circa 1600 and on (perhaps earlier too), some Korean cavalry used two-handed flails.

As far as Norman maces go, a blow from horseback from a strong and skilled rider would presumably be enough to at least stun any opposing cavalry soldiers. Writing in the first half of the 15th century, Bertrandon de la Broquière thought Turkish cavalry maces would be able to knock a person unconscious through a helmet if the wielder were "swinging freely" (Galen Kline's 1988 English translation). Western European en-at-arms retained the mace until the pistol generally replaced it and transformed heavy cavalry overall.

On the other hand, some Norman maces may have been a bit light compared with 15th-century Turkish maces or 15th/16th-century European maces. I've seen a number of 16th-century maces that are 3+lbs according to museum records, while some earlier maces were only 1-2lbs.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Norman maces
Page 3 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: