Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Norman maces Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
J. Douglas

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
As far as the shape goes, a heart-shape would be just as effective as any other, in my opinion. A mace, when it all boils down, is pretty much just a weighted club. That's interesting to hear about your ancestry!.....McM

True. But I doubt a heart shaped knobbed mace would be too effective, as a smooth service would glance of armour more easily, but I can see a heart shaped flanged mace working pretty well, because it's easy enough to put points/spikes onto the heart without making it loose it's shaped on a flanged mace? I don't really know. But I may well design a mace to these specifications and see if I can find a blacksmith to make it for me...... Idea

~JD (James)
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds like a pretty cool project to undertake. Big Grin Are you in the US? .....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
J. Douglas

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
Sounds like a pretty cool project to undertake. Big Grin Are you in the US? .....McM

No, Ireland. There are more or less no blacksmiths here. Mad but Im sure I could find someone in England who would do it for me. Maybe in ten or so years. Big Grin at least. Cry

~JD (James)
J. Douglas

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, the guidelines do say to ask related questions at once......

>.>

<.<

Anyway- (this is aimed at more poeple then Mark, BTW! Laughing Out Loud )

I know that war hammers have great advantages over maces- (they have a back spike, etc.) but what advantages do maces have over war hammers? There must be SOMETHING if they were used for years, but I can't think what to save my life...... Happy

~JD (James)
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well...I welcome others to join in also! The only real advantage to maces over war-hammers I can really think of is that maces were *probably* easier and cheaper to manufacture. But...war-hammers make great back scratchers! Laughing Out Loud ....McM
J. Douglas

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
Well...I welcome others to join in also! The only real advantage to maces over war-hammers I can really think of is that maces were *probably* easier and cheaper to manufacture. But...war-hammers make great back scratchers! Laughing Out Loud ....McM

That's true! I hadn't though of that..... But would the poeple who used these weapons not be rich men at arms or Knights? I'd imagine they would have been loaded.....

and about back scrathers- with a flanged mace, if you position it on a certain angle, you can scratch your back on TWO ANGLES. TWO AMGLES. Big Grin

~JD (James)
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

About maces being reserved for the rich or knightly....I wouldn't think so. These were highly effective weapons used by all classes. Look at Robert the Bruce...as you mentioned. I'm pretty sure he could have afforded most any weapon. But, in a time of war...use what works best. I would *personally* prefer a war-hammer over a mace of most any kind. You get the same percussive power, and you also have the spike to use 'can-opener'-style on heavy armor. But, that's just me. Happy ....McM
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I meant James Douglas, not Robert the Bruce. Sorry. Blush ....McM
J. Douglas

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
About maces being reserved for the rich or knightly....I wouldn't think so. These were highly effective weapons used by all classes. Look at Robert the Bruce...as you mentioned. I'm pretty sure he could have afforded most any weapon. But, in a time of war...use what works best. I would *personally* prefer a war-hammer over a mace of most any kind. You get the same percussive power, and you also have the spike to use 'can-opener'-style on heavy armor. But, that's just me. Happy ....McM

Very true, very true. Whilst I prefer maces asthetically war hammers do have one of two advantages! Big Grin

~JD (James)
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As far as makers go...I'm pretty sure "The Great and Powerful Tod" would be more than happy to fill your hand(s) with steel...your pocketbook and patience providing. Wink Big Grin ....McM
J. Douglas

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
As far as makers go...I'm pretty sure "The Great and Powerful Tod" would be more than happy to fill your hand(s) with steel...your pocketbook and patience providing. Wink Big Grin ....McM

Indeed. Is there anything he great and powerful Tod cannot do?

~JD (James)
Josh S

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Douglas wrote:
...what advantages do maces have over war hammers?

Ease of use. And/or reliability. If your swing lands, it will do damage regardless of how.

A hammer, like a sword, has to be aligned correctly (on the axis of the handle) in order to transfer force effectively. A spike, even more so. A mace doesn't really have that problem. Carry that over to an adrenaline-fueled reactive combat situation, and the difference can only become even more pronounced; anything that minimizes the chance of failure is to be pursued over any other advantage. I'd take a mace over a hammer any day for the simple fact I wouldn't want to risk what would have been a victorious blow costing me a limb due to not having connected true.

Last edited by Josh S on Sat 11 Mar, 2017 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
Not a mace...a flail....but THIS is my armor-buster. This thing scares the crap out of me. Eek! Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud ....McM

They were never popular because they were just as likely to maim the wielder as the target. I think the movie was El CId where, during a battle scene, if you slow down the playback, you can see Charleton Heston hitting his own horse in the head several times.

Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Possibly having flanges shaped similarly to THIS? I might be way off on what's going through YOUR mind though. Seems to me it would be a pretty effective end to a dispute. Wink Big Grin ....I'm no designer, by far, but it WOULD be pretty sweet! Big Grin ...McM

Attachment: 43.88 KB
WIN_20170311_16_32_46_Pro.jpg

Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan....that's the whole reason it's scary. I would worry more about hurting MYSELF than someone else. That's why I've only swung it once...I repeat...ONCE. Happy It obliterated a 5 lb. piece of firewood, and required a prybar to get loose. And yes, you are right about ease of use. A hammer DOES require a more precise aim. Happy.....McM
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Josh....I meant YOU are correct about ease of use. Sorry...didn't want to ignore you! Blush ....McM
J. Douglas

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

@ josh- how did I not think of that? Very true, good point.

@Mark- that is one way to do it. I brainstormed a few, and one was very similar to that.

But the one I was happiest with was a flanged mace with this style of head- (pic at bottom)

But, rather then the diamond-like flange cross section, a heart shaped one. So three heart shaped steel slangs arranged in an order like the pic.

Not sure if I'm making myself clear. Confused

By Monday I'll have designed a Microsoft-word document drawing of the basic idea. But of course your mace looks just as useful, far scarier far more ferocious. Happy

And by the way, the book never stated what kind of mace it was. I have done even more searching through the inter web and no where can I find another mention of this mace. Cry perhaps it never existed. Either way, it will still be a good project for the (distant) future!

Attachment: 97.79 KB
image.jpeg

~JD (James)

Last edited by J. Douglas on Sat 11 Mar, 2017 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
J. Douglas

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Josh S wrote:
J. Douglas wrote:
...what advantages do maces have over war hammers?

Ease of use. And/or reliability. If your swing lands, it will do damage regardless of how.

A hammer, like a sword, has to be aligned correctly (on the axis of the handle) in order to transfer force effectively. A spike, even more so. A mace doesn't really have that problem. Carry that over to an adrenaline-fueled reactive combat situation, and the difference can only become even more pronounced; anything that minimizes the chance of failure is to be pursued over any other advantage. I'd take a mace over a hammer any day for the simple fact I wouldn't want to risk what would have been a victorious blow costing me a limb due to not having connected true.

This is true. And I guess if you were a knight on horseback chasing down infantry and hitting helmets, you need to swing your mace quickly and fluently. No time for edge alignment there! So great point!

~JD (James)
J. Douglas

PostPosted: Sun 12 Mar, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Mark Moore wrote:
Not a mace...a flail....but THIS is my armor-buster. This thing scares the crap out of me. Eek! Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud ....McM

They were never popular because they were just as likely to maim the wielder as the target. I think the movie was El CId where, during a battle scene, if you slow down the playback, you can see Charleton Heston hitting his own horse in the head several times.

Just wondering- when they were used (rarely, of course) how would they be carried? I

~JD (James)
J. Douglas

PostPosted: Sun 12 Mar, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Mark Moore wrote:

Just wondering- when they were used (rarely, of course) how would they be carried? I

~JD (James)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Norman maces
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: