Dealing with Lutel... Yup, I used the "Correct" Si
I have always heard good things about Lutel swords, and the two that I had handled were both excellent performers. Being a man who likes to do research before making a decision, I checked several different sources, including here. It was here that I discovered that there had been some trouble with their old manager, but the new site (Lutel-Handicraft) was A-OK.
I guess I should have dug deeper.
The ordering process was smooth, and PayPal made international payment much easier than it has been in the past, so I thought all was well.
It was not.
I was told that my sword would be delivered in 2-3 months. The months dragged by and I began to wonder if all was lost. After seven months and several Emails, I was told that my sword was to be shipped and would take about five days to arrive. I verified my shipping information and felt relieved that I hadn't tossed my money away to Eastern Europe, with no recourse.
A week passed, and right about the time I began to wonder where my sword was, I received an Email informing me that a mistake had been made in shipping, and that I was about to receive the wrong sword. They had sent me a sword meant for another person in the U.S., and would I mind forwarding his sword to him. They said that they would reimburse me any shipping costs. I sent the unopened sword to it's intended owner. and Lutel reimbursed me as promised.
Then almost eight months after I originally ordered my sword... A SWORD ARRIVED!!!
Not the sword that I ordered, mind you... but it was definitely a sword. The grip was the right color, and the guard was the right shape, but I ordered a XVIa Longsword. The sword that I received was sort of a XIIIa with a narrow half length fuller. The scabbard and belt were good quality and in the style and color were what I ordered, but it was definitely NOT a Type XVIa .
Of course, I sent them an email explaining that the blade was not a XVIa, that it was not a diamond cross section and it has a flat, rounded point. The response that I received from Lutel was: "Is that a problem for you?"
Well, yes! That is a problem! I asked them how we were going to go about getting the correct sword, and waited. After a few more weeks (Apparently their site was down????) I contacted them again.
This time I was told that all I have to do is disassemble the sword, pack up the blade and ship it back. Once they receive it, they'll send me a new blade at no charge, other than ANOTHER $50 shipping and handling.
WRONG!
I'm not a cutler. I'm a paying Customer!
Long story short... (too late) a few days have elapsed since I suggested that they send me the correct sword and I'll ship them the old one, and I haven't heard back.
Looks like I may be selling a Lutel soon. I'll let you know how well it cuts.

-Rick Miller
This is disheartening. I'm waiting for a sword from them and am starting to get anxious.
I'll pray for you and your sword. :blush:
I have ordered three swords from LUTEL and all were what I ordered. Projected delivery times were all off by a few months which I have found to be the norm with just about all my customs. I include LUTEL as a custom as they make the swords on order even if not a true custom. I actually ordered one sword from their site and requested a different blade type with no problem.

Getting the wrong blade would be a major issue for me as well. Best of luck getting this resolved or not.........
Sad - I always found the Lutel team to be extremely friendly and helpful...
Asking a customer to swap the blade himself and pay additional shipping for a mistake on their part is definitely not a proper way to tackle this - not acceptable at all.

I would politely point out that the fault is on their end and that additional fees for you to get what you ordered should be on their end. Depending on the reply, I would also point out that the matter is getting some attention and provide a link to this thread.

Side note:
I have PayPal Returns - That is always useful in such cases (paypal refunds return shipping costs) It is free for 12 transactions. Never had to use it but it is additional peace of mind.
Agree with the precedent posts, I never had problem nor difficulties with them in the past, on catalogue articles and on custom orders. The waiting delay was each time a little bit more than expected, but as William says that is also the case on other makers.

It is my understanding that their guys are getting old so they need more time than in the past - they also limited their offer to single-handed swords and longswords lately.

Be that as it may, that's quite a big mistake that they did... hope you'll find a solution soon.
"Is that a problem for you?"---It boggles my mind to hear that coming from a maker like Lutel. :wtf: That's kinda like ordering a Porsche and having it come with a Yugo engine. Hope you get the matter cleared up, and YES...it's their mistake....YOU ought not be out a dime for them to correct it ! ;) .............McM
This topic is discussing a maker and a transaction, not historical arms and armour so I have moved it to the appropriate place: The Off-topic Forum.
Maybe not quite like a Porsche... :D

Sad to hear. Its been a good long time since I dealt with them, but when I did my transactions were smooth. However, after the messy separation of the team I just kept a distance. Wish you good luck in finding some kind of happy resolution.
I am baffled as well. Virtually EVERY single person to whom I spoke before making the decision to buy Lutel had nothing but praise for them. As said, I've fenced with their blunts and cut with one of their sharps, and the swords were top-notch.
The sword it self is absolutely beautiful and though I haven't cut with it (If I demand a new sword, I should return a new sword!) I'm betting it would kick ass, so to speak.
I'm checking my Email daily and as yet haven't heard back from them.
I'll keep y'all posted as things progress (or digress).
- Rick

Attachment: 473.78 KB
This is the sword that I ordered. [ Download ]

Attachment: 437.89 KB
This is the style BLADE that I received. [ Download ]
Lloyd Winter wrote:
This is disheartening. I'm waiting for a sword from them and am starting to get anxious.

I wouldn't worry too much at this point, Lloyd.
From virtually every person that I asked about Lutel, they're very reliable. I am sure that my situation is the exception rather than the rule... not that it makes it any easier on my end.
Smart money says that your sword will be just as ordered.

- Rick
What happened?
I'm curious to know how the matter ended (more than a year later, it should have ended!). Quite some ago, I bought three swords from Lutel (the real Lutel) and was pleased with both service and product.

I'd like to purchase more from Lutel. But, reading of uproar and unreliability since departure of the former manager, I'm skittish about ordering again.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: