Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Wrench Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ben Joy

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Wrench Sword         Reply with quote

Chandler Dickinson "One Piece Wrench Sword" - Youtube Video

I was just looking at random videos on YouTube and this popped up. The guy takes an old ~2" double ended wrench and turns it into a sword. It's a long video, but interesting and personally I think it's worth the watch. The sword might be novelty, but I can't say I'd be upset with owning one. It actually turned out surprisingly nice for what it is.

Regardless, it's an interesting video that I'd figured I'd post the link to. It's fascinating the kinds of salvage and "junk yard" projects people come up with. I'd also like to hear some input on his quick-and-dirty hardness/temperable test, or any input people have on his process, in general.

"Men take only their needs into consideration, never their abilities." -Napoleon Bonaparte
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just now watched this video, and found it totally fascinating. This guy has some talent! I like the way he reclaimed the steel from the wrench 'jaw' back into the blade. That was a LOT of work. Just goes to show what some people can see in ordinary objects. With enough imagination and determination(and SWEAT), you can turn almost anything into something else entirely! Thank you for posting this. Happy I believe I'll go out and do a bit of hammer-work this afternoon! Big Grin .....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Ben Joy

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
I just now watched this video, and found it totally fascinating. This guy has some talent! I like the way he reclaimed the steel from the wrench 'jaw' back into the blade. That was a LOT of work. Just goes to show what some people can see in ordinary objects. With enough imagination and determination(and SWEAT), you can turn almost anything into something else entirely! Thank you for posting this. Happy I believe I'll go out and do a bit of hammer-work this afternoon! Big Grin .....McM

No kidding. To say I was impressed with the work he put into that was an understatement. He has some interesting insights, as well. It makes you wonder how much random smiths have stumbled into the thoughts and/or mindsets of someone from the medieval ages, but we'll never truly know.

This video led me to several others of his where he makes a knife out of chainsaw chain, multiple people making tomahawks out of wrenches, and others. There's some crazy salvage and recreation work that's done out there, that's for sure. I'm glad it served as some level of inspiration.

"Men take only their needs into consideration, never their abilities." -Napoleon Bonaparte
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My wife accuses me of being a 'junk-yard pack-rat' because I will bring home bits of this and that. Things that I can see *possibly* made into something else. She always asks-"What the heck are you gonna do with that piece of junk?"---To which I reply-"I don't exactly know---YET.'' Laughing Out Loud Just goes to prove the old saying--One man's trash is another man's treasure! Big Grin My local scrapyard and the GoodWill store are my friends! Laughing Out Loud ......McM
Ben Joy

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
My local scrapyard and the GoodWill store are my friends! Laughing Out Loud ......McM

Ain't that the truth. Scrap yards, thrift stores, and flea markets always fun to dig through. You never know what you'll find; and better yet, you have no idea what you can turn it into until you try.

Mark Moore

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recently bought two entire rolls...whole hides...of upholstery-grade finished leather from GoodWill...for $70. SCORE! Big Grin Got plans for that stuff! Wink Big Grin ......McM
Hamish C

PostPosted: Mon 13 Mar, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now that's what I call a real multitool!
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Mon 13 Mar, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I thought it would be cool if he used a round-end/open-end wrench and made a ring-pommel out of it. O==I======> Big Grin ....McM
Ben Joy

PostPosted: Mon 13 Mar, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
I recently bought two entire rolls...whole hides...of upholstery-grade finished leather from GoodWill...for $70. SCORE! Big Grin Got plans for that stuff! Wink Big Grin ......McM

I missed this comment earlier, so sorry for the delay. You, good sir, are a lucky SOB. That's beyond a score, if I could find something like that I'd probably have some projects on the table, myself. Awesome stuff.

Mark Moore wrote:
I thought it would be cool if he used a round-end/open-end wrench and made a ring-pommel out of it. O==I======> Big Grin ....McM

That'd actually be pretty sweet looking, actually, now that you've put the image in my mind. However, you lose a little bit of that "I wouldn't want to get hit with either end" feeling.

Your idea made me think of another "what if" using a ratchet, but then I found out most of those are chromed . . . so that'd make reforging it quite a mess I believe.

However, another thought . . . what if you took an open ended wrench like that and reforged it to be a warhammer head? Bend the smaller side of a jaw out 90 degrees or so to make a "pick" and then shift the metal on the other side of the jaw (like he did to create the blade in the first place) to make a hammer? Feasible?

Hamish C wrote:
Now that's what I call a real multitool!

Ba-dum-tish. However, I don't think I'd want to be gripping the blade and pushing with all my might to try and get enough leverage to loosen a rusty nut.

Mark Moore

PostPosted: Mon 13 Mar, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yup....Everything you just said. You, sir, are a man after my own heart and mind. Laughing Out Loud ....McM
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Mon 13 Mar, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bet, with a couple'a beers and a couple'a hours....we could solve a lotta problems! Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud ....McM
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Thu 16 Mar, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

of the topic of junk yard steels. There is no reason for any begging smith to avoid junk yard steels. leaf springs coil springs, axles. I have personal worked with all while beginning the trade, and find no obvious flaws. old hammers old drill bits, cold chisels. all excellent tool steels.

but some of these are going to be a different qualities. The idea not to use a leaf spring for a sword or knife because it may have more imperfection or impurities in the steel . . . . i have not yet run into that case but i have not yet made a sword. typically, most manufactures are getting their 5160, or 1060 from the same mill that your going to buy your spring steel.

now I'm not saying, that if a customer asks for a blade of 5160 to jump on a coil spring, for a customer you always get the best of the best material to work with - they are paying for the best so its up to you to find the best. rather if I'm working with a design or need a quick tool, its' much easier to just make one up from a coil spring than to use something I'd rather reserve for a customer.

a wonderful junk yard steel if you can find it from old wrenches (which i think you find chrome vanadium on more recent stuff) is D2. massively awesome steel in my opinion, i have a hankering for finding an old wrench of d2 and jamming it into a axe body for the bit.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Thu 16 Mar, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, Daniel....D2 is great steel. I've worked with it before and had good results. I have also made knives and daggers using old chainsaw bars. The solid bars, with the chain groove milled in, make great blades. The chain groove can be ground away, leaving a solid 'billet' of steel. The steel is VERY hard, but slow grinding and frequent dunks in water will keep it that way. No need for heat-treating. If anything...heating it a bit to draw out some of the hardness might not be a bad idea. Shown below is a Scottish Dirk I made using a billet bar. Turned out pretty good, I think! Big Grin .....McM

Attachment: 39.47 KB
WIN_20170316_11_42_50_Pro.jpg

Mark Moore

PostPosted: Thu 16 Mar, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's hard to see from my BS computer camera photo, but the blade is double-edged a little over a third of the way from the point. Later on, when time and some new files allow, I'll do some decorative filing on the back spine. I hand-carved the grip from one solid piece of black walnut. I also did some wood-burning on the grip with a Scottish thistle on one side of the pommel and a 'trinity' motif on the other. I wore it with my kilt to Scarborough Faire one year and got FIVE offers to buy it...all of which I turned down. Wink It's a keeper. Happy .....McM

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Wrench Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic