Go to page 1, 2  Next

Group photos.........
I was having a photo session with a couple of new review samples and I thought I'd take a few group shots of my collection, as it now exists.

Single-handers
L to R: Albion Jarl (Geibig Type 4), Peter Johnsson Type X, Vince Evans Type X, Albion Knight (Type XII).(reversed in second photo
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

Long-swords
L to R: Albion's Baron, Sempach, and Regent.
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Sat 26 Feb, 2005 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
That's pretty cool to see 'em side-by-side like that. It gives a better feel for their overall proportions.
Mighty nice patrick. :)
an admirable collection, Patrick. I see a fairly tight theme in style among the single handers (the viking piece aside); it looks like you very clearly know what you like :)

not to steal any thunder from a review at a later date (if you wouldn't mind PMing me if it would be a spoiler) but i would like to know your impressions of the Knight - I've been eyeing that one up lately as I am looking for a low-frills cutting tool for my next piece. In particular, your impressions of feel in hand (how quickly does it start/stop) and how forgiving in use do you think it would be? Also, looking at the PJ and the VE, the Knight looks like it has a significantly longer grip, perhaps enough to get a second hand comfortably around if need be?

Thanks for the council and the pics!
I tell ya, that Vince Evans Type X is still breath taking, bud!

nice spread!
Jonathon Janusz wrote:
Also, looking at the PJ and the VE, the Knight looks like it has a significantly longer grip, perhaps enough to get a second hand comfortably around if need be?

Hey Jonathon,

I don't have a completed sword at home, but I do have a "Knight" grip core sitting on my desk. The core measures 4.375" long, not long enough to get a second hand on. I would guess that the grips on the two custom swords in the pics (V.E. and P.J.) are around the +/- 4" range (same as the Jarl). This may account for the apparent long length.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Jonathon Janusz wrote:
an admirable collection, Patrick. I see a fairly tight theme in style among the single handers (the viking piece aside); it looks like you very clearly know what you like :)

Hi Jonathon,

The Viking piece will fit right in once I have both a Celtic and a Migration era sword to precceed it. :D The progression should then be clear.

Quote:
not to steal any thunder from a review at a later date (if you wouldn't mind PMing me if it would be a spoiler) but i would like to know your impressions of the Knight - I've been eyeing that one up lately as I am looking for a low-frills cutting tool for my next piece. In particular, your impressions of feel in hand (how quickly does it start/stop) and how forgiving in use do you think it would be? Also, looking at the PJ and the VE, the Knight looks like it has a significantly longer grip, perhaps enough to get a second hand comfortably around if need be?

Thanks for the council and the pics!

Check your PM's for info on the Knight. ;)

The Knight's grip is the same length as the PJ's. The grip on the Jarl is a bit shorter, as is the Evans' grip. There's perhaps half an inch of clearance between my hand and the pommel when the Knight is grasped. The distorted angle of the photos may make it appear longer than it really is. I took these pics on the quickie so there wasn't much thought to photo composition.
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Mighty nice patrick. :)

Thanks! The collection isn't as big as it once was but I think it's progressing nicely. :D
Joseph C. wrote:
That's pretty cool to see 'em side-by-side like that. It gives a better feel for their overall proportions.

I really like having these three longswords. When put together I think they provide a good illustration (though a brief one) of the development of the medieval longsword. In fact, that's why I bought them!
Patrick;

NICE toys! Great collection you have there! Very cool... I fell in love with the Regent while playing with Nathan's... got to get one of those, one of these days... Yup, one of these days!

Gordon
Patrick -

I love your taste in swords.
Jason, Patrick, thanks for clearing up the grip length question - the angle in the pictures got to me.

Also, I was just thinking, I know Howy loves his Knight and would have nothing but praise for it, and he's probably spent more time with it than most. So, I was wondering his thoughts on how it handles and if he's cut with it, how forgiving a sword it is?

and Patrick, true the collection may not be as large as it used to be, but I would gladly take quality over quantity any day. Even better is knowing that each and every piece is exactly what you want.

Thanks again! (and sorry again for filling your PM box. . .)
Very nice Patrick - you do like those fullers don't you?

Gordon
Gordon Clark wrote:
Very nice Patrick - you do like those fullers don't you?

Gordon

No Gordon, I LOVE fullers. :D

Those wide fullers are one of the things that have always drawn me to the early and high medieval designs. I remember a time years ago, when if a replica blade had a fuller it was a pencil-thin line machined in the blade. I still get giddy over nice fullers!
Alina Boyden wrote:
Patrick -

I love your taste in swords.

Thanks!
Hi Patrick,
Though I also love your taste it seems you take a bit of a chronological leap in your longswords between the Sempach and the Regent.
If you don't mind my observation- you need a Duke as well. Hey! I can live my collecting aims vicarously through yours right?
I have not moved onto the longswords yet however as I need more High Middle Age single handers.
I'm waiting on the Reeve. . . As well as a nice kite shield from Mercenaries Tailor.
Jeremy
Excellent collection Patrick!
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Hi Patrick,
Though I also love your taste it seems you take a bit of a chronological leap in your longswords between the Sempach and the Regent. If you don't mind my observation- you need a Duke as well.

I am not Patrick but........

The duke fits best between the Baron and Sempach in terms of typology, and together with the Baron in terms of chronology. Well there is not a "chronological" leap per se in Patrick's collection of H&H swords. Type XIIa would have been popular until ~1350, Sempach type swords pick up in use sometime after ~1350 and are quite popular end of 14th and in the beginning of the 15th century, and Regent (due to it's fishtail pommel) can be dated after or around 1425.

I think that the "evolution" is underlined pretty nicely: a powerful cutting sword, followed by a pretty much dedicated thrusting sword, followed by a "cut-and-thrust" sword.

I think Patrick should still get the Duke because it is a hell of a "geat" sword :D ;)

Alexi

Last edited by Alexi Goranov on Sun 27 Feb, 2005 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Alexi Goranov wrote:
I think that the "evolution" is underlined pretty nicely: a powerful cutting sword, followed by a pretty much dedicated thrusting sword, followed by a "cut-and-thrust" sword.

That's exactly how I saw it, too. The collection progresses through time, but perhaps more specifically, progresses through functional methodology as well.
Quote:
I think Patrick should still get the Duke because it is a hell of a "geat" sword

Well, I never said I was done. ;)
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: