Help me identify this sword
This sword was found in the ground by my grandparents, possibly in Neilston, Scotland, sometime around the 1960's, which I have since inherited.

It's a type of early 19th-century sword bayonet that (as far as I can discover) originated as the Prussian M1810 Hirschfanger. In Danish service some of them had the mechanism on the side of the grip was removed to turn it into a simple short sword. Possibly some obscure variants without the mechanisms also existed, as George Wheeler suggests here. See also here (under M/1848 Hirschfanger) and here for more pictures.
Dan D'Silva wrote:
It's a type of early 19th-century sword bayonet that (as far as I can discover) originated as the Prussian M1810 Hirschfanger. In Danish service some of them had the mechanism on the side of the grip was removed to turn it into a simple short sword. Possibly some obscure variants without the mechanisms also existed, as George Wheeler suggests here. See also here (under M/1848 Hirschfanger) and here for more pictures.

Brilliant! I've seen this sword in my family since as long as I can remember, and this is the first time I've seen pics of another one of that model. I was always curious to see how this would look in a less worn form. Good to know a bit of the history behind it as well. Maybe with a bit of research I can get an idea of why it ended up where it was found (from what I've read so far, possibly WW1). Thanks so much! :D
You're welcome, and best of luck with your research.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: