A guestion on mail voiders...
Has anyone ever tried to make a pair of sleeves out of a pair of voiders? Seems to me like one could, in theory, use the sides as sleeves if you rivet or lace them together. I'm trying to figure a way to have sleeves without wearing a whole shirt under plate, without having to buy sleeves...which are much more expensive. Any thoughts? :wtf: .....McM
Re: A guestion on mail voiders...
Mark Moore wrote:
Has anyone ever tried to make a pair of sleeves out of a pair of voiders? Seems to me like one could, in theory, use the sides as sleeves if you rivet or lace them together. I'm trying to figure a way to have sleeves without wearing a whole shirt under plate, without having to buy sleeves...which are much more expensive. Any thoughts? :wtf: .....McM

You could try to find mail squares and rivet then to the voiders, or take apart a mail skirt and rivet that to it. Do try to find the exact same manufacturer, I have had issues with mismatches in the past.
I can get matching mail...it's KoA/Lord of Battles mail that I would be using. They have skirts and loose rings. I was just wondering if the idea was at all feasible. I was thinking about attaching it to a thick cotton tunic...long-sleeved. Probably also a skirt. That would mean just slipping on the tunic, then strapping on my plate....*in theory*. I can't really figure out how the armpit section of the voider would lay for me to attach it. I'm thinking it might get bunched up under my pauldrons. Nothing sucks worse than lumpy armor! :lol: Any other opinions? :) .....McM
You probably can - or the other easy method (and we see some evidence of this in surviving sets of mail sleeves) is to start with a shirt and cut the sleeves out.

The problem you'll likely run into is that most cheap voiders (or shirts) are made to a simple t-pattern. Authentic mail sleeves largely have extra mail in the armpit, allowing more movement.

As far as attachment goes, you'll probably find it easier to join the sleeves together across the back, and add a buckle or lace of some type in the front. That way you aren't trying to wrestle your way into a tunic that's got chunks of mail attached to it randomly, and they can hold themselves in place.
That's kinda what I had in mind...thanks! :) I just may try it. If it doesn't work out to my satisfaction, KoA DOES have a return policy! :D :lol: God bless 'em! :D .....McM

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: