Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Fabric lined scabbards. Yes/no/when? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alexander B.

Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Fabric lined scabbards. Yes/no/when?         Reply with quote

I hear early scababrds were lined on the inside with fabric, sometimes even fur.

I have an 18th C. encyclopedia entry detailing the making of small sword scabbards, mentioning the optional lining of the scabbard with wool.

However, For 15th C. purposes (and 16th) I am told there was no fabric in the scabbards. My question now is, if there was no fabric at all, or if the lining was optional and just no terribly common.
I personally like the concept of it, but I don't know if my scababrds would still be historically correct if I decide to line my 15th c. and 16th C. scabbards.

Also, I imagine unlined Scabbards rattling a bit against the blade, but don't know how much that is actually a 'problem'

Alex.B

-PLUS RATIO QUAM VIS-
Fisher Lobdell

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Use the search function to find some existing topics on the subject, keywords (scabbard lining). I had those questions answered here, but I don't know where.
Absence of evidence is not necessarily the evedence of
Absence. Ewart Oakeshotte.
Harry Marinakis

Usergroups: 
Donating Members

Reading list: 13 books
Spotlight topics: 1
PostPosted: Fri 17 Feb, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I always put a lining in my scabbards, whether or not it's historically accurate. The sword draws much smoother with a lining.

I use either a heavy 22-24 oz. Melton wool, or a short-hair animal hide like cow or goat.
Kristjan Runarsson

PostPosted: Yesterday at 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Fabric lined scabbards. Yes/no/when?         Reply with quote

Alexander B. wrote:
I hear early scababrds were lined on the inside with fabric, sometimes even fur.

I have an 18th C. encyclopedia entry detailing the making of small sword scabbards, mentioning the optional lining of the scabbard with wool.

However, For 15th C. purposes (and 16th) I am told there was no fabric in the scabbards. My question now is, if there was no fabric at all, or if the lining was optional and just no terribly common.
I personally like the concept of it, but I don't know if my scababrds would still be historically correct if I decide to line my 15th c. and 16th C. scabbards.

Also, I imagine unlined Scabbards rattling a bit against the blade, but don't know how much that is actually a 'problem'

Alex.B

During the Viking period and the Middle Ages until at least the 14th century it was pretty common to line scabbards with linen (possibly also wool) or sheep skin with the fleece cropped short, I have never heard of fur being used. There are numerous surviving artefacts proving this practice from Norway/Iceland/Denmark and the UK. Personally, I prefer fleece, it is easier to draw the sword, sheathing it is smoother and it does a better job of keeping the blade from rusting although heavy wool fabric might do the same job.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Yesterday at 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One of my very early attempts at knife-making was a very large, completely un-historic, fantasy dagger made for a friend of mine. I made the scabbard/sheath from pieces of cedar wood, and lined it with wool fabric. The dagger fit very snuggly, and would not fall out--even held upside down and lightly shaken. My friend reports that the dagger is still tightly held, and completely rust-free. That was over 25 years ago...if that says anything about wool. Just for what it's worth... Happy ....McM
''This is your father's hand-and-a-half bastardsaber. It is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.''----Obi Wan Kenobi, Star Wars--1977----No, not really.........McM
Niels Just Rasmussen

Spotlight topics: 15
PostPosted: Yesterday at 10:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The "Danish two-hander" found placed on the tomb of danish King Christian I (King: 1449-1481) in 1843 was with a leather scabbard that had lærred (= canvas) on the inside rusted into the blade. Sadly the scabbard wasn't preserved into modern times.

So it gives at least a historical 15th century textile example from Denmark.
Harry Marinakis

Usergroups: 
Donating Members

Reading list: 13 books
Spotlight topics: 1
PostPosted: Yesterday at 11:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've never found any historical references that show that fleece was used for scabbard linings.

During the Middle Ages "fur" was used - if you mean animal hides with hair still attached. During the early Viking period longer hair seemed to be preferred, but shorter hair hides were used up until about the 10th C. After that textile linings were used.

The hides with hair do add quite a bit to the size of the wood core, as the hide is rather bulky.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Fabric lined scabbards. Yes/no/when?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic