Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Type XIIIb by Michael PikulaProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In looking at the photos again, I noticed the nice radii where the tang meets the shoulders. Also, the lenticular cross section at the tip of the blade, avoiding the fairly common swordmaker's sin of ending with a flattened diamond. I wonder about the blade thickness. I bet it has an interesting blade geometry.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
Great pickup Patrick! I love the proportions of this one. Michael has a way with wide blades, doesn't he? The type Z hilted vike he made for me has the widest blade I own, but it is still lively as can be. I'm sure this one is the same, looks like a beast but feels great in the swing. Anyway, congratulations!

If your sword is the one I'm thinking of, I've lusted much after that one. Michael does indeed have a way with swords of heroic proportions. Considering that my preferences run in the same direction, I may have just found my new "guy". The sword has some heft to be sure, but it's hardly a boat anchor like you'd assume just looking at it. It feels as if the sword knows exactly what its job is and how it's going to go about it.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
In looking at the photos again, I noticed the nice radii where the tang meets the shoulders. Also, the lenticular cross section at the tip of the blade, avoiding the fairly common swordmaker's sin of ending with a flattened diamond. I wonder about the blade thickness. I bet it has an interesting blade geometry.

Overall the blade has a very strong design, such as the radius you mention. I borrowed some of Michaels in-progress photos specifically to illustrate this. Honestly, if this blade had featured a diamond cross section, it would have sent me a message that the maker really didn't have a good handle on the type and I probably would have passed.

The blade starts at .216" at the base and has a fairly linear distal taper to the tip, where it shows a thickness of .076". The last quarter of the blade, where it moves past the fuller, is quite flat and nearly as broad as the base. In spite of the blades thin cross section, it's still quite rigid and while the blade is quite keen overall it's *very* sharp for the last third. This includes the point. Consequently, in spite of the blades spatulate style tip, it would still be a capable thruster against an opponent wearing light or moderate armor. The sword tracks the point well in a thrust and given the blades weight and rigidity, I wouldn't underestimate its thrusting ability in period context.

Honestly, I wasn't head over heels for this sword when I took it from the box. I bought it because of the aforementioned design features that intrigued me. In that sense, I wasn't disappointed, I just didn't have that "Ooooo, ahhhhh!" feeling when I unboxed it. Now that I've spent some time with it that's changed. Since I've spent a few days handling it, it's really grown on me, not only for it's unusual aesthetics but also for its function as a weapon. I'm now oooing and ahhhing to a suitable degree. Michael and I are in discussion concerning a similar Type XIIIa for later in the year. Now that would really be something.

Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick,
That sword is amazing...

...But how did you get that turtleneck so WHITE...also,you should smile more... : )

On a serious note,that really is a wonderful,one of a kind sword. I have always wanted a Pikula piece. I am still sorry that I missed the longer handled older brothers and sisters to your sword.

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Phil D. wrote:
Patrick,
That sword is amazing...

...But how did you get that turtleneck so WHITE...also,you should smile more... : )

On a serious note,that really is a wonderful,one of a kind sword. I have always wanted a Pikula piece. I am still sorry that I missed the longer handled older brothers and sisters to your sword.

Thanks.

Let me tell you, that sweater isn't one to wear while eating spaghetti or BBQ!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Type XIIIb by Michael PikulaProduct Review
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: