Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Info about Mehmed II Saber in Topkapi? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Parker

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Info about Mehmed II Saber in Topkapi?         Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I am writing a paper for school comparing Ottoman and Safavid royal swords, and I realized that none of my catalogs (Topkapi Palace Museum, BKG, 2010, and The Topkapi Saray Museum: The Treasury by Kӧseoglu, Cengiz, trans., exp., and ed. J.M. Rogers) has information about the marvelous saber of Sultan Mehmed II "The Conqueror" (1432–1481) on display in the Topkapi Palace Museum in Istanbul. Does anybody have a translation of the museum label, or some catalog that does give its basic information? So far the only information I've found on the internet is its length (126.5cm overall with a 106cm blade), and two different versions of the inscription translation:

From http://www.delightsofturkey.co.uk/the-sword-o...pi-palace/

Quote:
“In the name of Allah, the compassionate, the merciful. May authority be fortunate to Allah, the Almighty, who strengthens the braces of religion with gleaming and clear worded verses and sharp and lurid blades. May Salaat and Salam told in the most beautiful and fluent words be upon Prophet Mohammed and his Ahl-e Bayt. My Allah! Give power and strength to Mehmed Khan, the son of Sultan Murad Khan who is the sharpest sword drawn for the Crusades, the sultan of veterans and mujahids who struggled to praise the seniors of religion, and place the mercy of his sword’s sheath on the necks of the enemies of sharia and the ink of his pen on the God of universes. He, is Mehmed Khan, the son of Sultan Osman Khan, the son of Orhan Khan, the son of Bayezid Khan. May Allah water the soil on their graves with the cool and sweet waters flowing from the swords of veterans and may He allow the heavens under the shadow of swords their abode. Amin, Ya Rabbelal”

From https://www.reddit.com/r/islam/comments/36sv19/the_text_on_the_sword_of_sultan_muhammad_alfatih/

Quote:
In the name of Allah, the most Merciful, the most Beneficient. Praise be to Allah Almighty who blesseth religious faith with lustrous & lucid verses and sharp & shining swords. Salat and salam upon our noble Prophet Muhammad and his household who are attributed with the most exquisite, lucent words.
Bless and strengthen Mehmed II, son of Murad II, the poignant sword that is drawn in the name of Jihad; the Sultan of ghazis and mujahideen that striveth to glorify the holy men of Allah; may the necks of the enemies of Shariah becometh the scabbard of his sword; shed your grace on the ink of his pen.
Son of Osman, son of Orhan, son of Murad, son of Beyazit, son of Mehmed; may Allah cleanse them with heavenly waters (zulal) that streameth by the swords of ghazis and place them under the shadow of swords in heaven. Ameen, ya Rabbil Alamin

What could those grip panels be made of? Ivory, or perhaps bone? Any information whatsoever about its style, craftsmanship, materials, dimensions, inscription meaning, or history would be invaluable.

UPDATE: I finally found a picture that I presume to be from Islamic Swords and Swordsmiths by Ünsal Yücel, is that correct? Is this probably the best catalog entry I'm likely to find?

Attachment: 173.39 KB
a6a29e1c8d9b845ebae8e76f748b16e4.jpg

Attachment: 190.24 KB
542393256_bad5c8bf6d_z_zps2bea496b.jpg

Attachment: 99.68 KB
Mehmed II Catalog Entry.jpg

"This is a sharp medicine, but it is a physician for all diseases and miseries."
-Sir Walter Raleigh, upon being allowed to see the ax that would behead him, 29 October 1618

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Info about Mehmed II Saber in Topkapi?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic