Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Taboo - Tom Hardy knives Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not to get too far off track here, but who makes the prop weapons for the 'Vikings' series? I can never catch it on the credits. Just wondering..........McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote
Quote:
Not to get too far off track here, but who makes the prop weapons for the 'Vikings' series? I can never catch it on the credits. Just wondering..........McM

I don't know for sure and lots will be made in house, but I do know an armourer called Boyd Rankin from Irish Arms was/is involved. Very nice guy who makes some very nice stuff.

On other matters I am pleased to say that knives very similar to those used in the TV program Taboo will be available....

I designed and made the knives for Tom Hardy in Taboo, but as they are not legal in the UK, I am not able to make them for sale, so I have teamed up with Craig Johnson, who is production manager at Arms and Armor in the US who can make and sell them, so from now on please contact Craig with any questions or orders.

These knives were supposed to have been made by James Delaney at some point in the depths of Africa, and were very much hand made items and the pieces reflect that. They are created using natural
materials and processes to make a unique piece, each one just a little different because of their hand made nature.

If you are interested in having Craig make you a knife, or even a pair, complete with belt sheathes, please contact him at cj@arms-n-armor.com

The cost for a single knife is $490 or the pair for $940, this does not include shipping.

Regards

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is it the knuckle-guard that makes them illegal in the UK?
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote
Quote:
Is it the knuckle-guard that makes them illegal in the UK?

I actually can't give you a concise answer, but in essence yes/maybe/don't want to find out.

UK law is case law based and old and multi layered, so an example I was given is that drinking a beer is fine in public, smash that glass and the same thing you were drinking innocently from has now become a 'dangerous weapon' so although something is legal in one way it can be or become illegal in another. Our wonderful Police (no sarcasm at all) have a great sense of right and wrong and so even though you can have something, they do sometimes for the greater good, discourage you in other ways. I had a memorable discussion a few years ago with a Firearms Officer (person in charge of issuing gun and explosives licences) about an explosives licence I wanted and was entitled to have, but on reflection didn't really have a purpose for, and he gently pointed this out until I actually agreed.

Around 20 years ago a law was brought in to ban from sale or ownership a series of weapons that had only violent application (as the UK law sees it) and this covered throwing stars, butterfly knives punch daggers, belt knives or other deliberately disguised items and a few other bits and pieces and amongst that were knuckle dusters/brass knuckles. I understand that there are many viewpoints on the sense of this sort of law, but please leave the politics and strong opinions to other more shouty and less mannered sites, suffice to say that the vast majority of the UK public and me included, like our status quo with weapons.

This sort of knife is legal to carry on private land and if the blade were under 3" then around town too, (I think), (It has been pointed out that I am wrong by Mr Kew below, but I have left this in so his comment makes sense), but lets face it, its purpose is not exactly peaceful and even if you could get away with it under one law, the Police are likely to trawl up another that will get you for it. However knuckle dusters are illegal anywhere and whether two rings of a four ring device constitutes a knuckle duster or not I do not know, but until tested in law, the law does not know either.

So the upshot is that I suspect at best the UK law would look to prosecute me and that would be very costly and if I was found innocent then I have gained a few jobs I don't actually need and at worst, I find I have been manufacturing a banned weapon, that would then automatically see the hooked blade as a very vicious and nasty addition to this and can end up getting a sentence of at least 2 years.

I am sure a UK person with a better understanding of the law can chime in, but that is the essence of it I think.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1

Last edited by Leo Todeschini on Tue 07 Mar, 2017 11:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Tod. Very interesting. That's a good explanation and should end that part of this conversation.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
T. Kew

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One very quick note (for facts, not politics):

When it comes to carrying knives in the UK, the 3" blade limit applies only to non-locking folders. Fixed blades (locking blades are considered fixed) always require a suitable reason for carrying in public.

HEMA fencer and coach, New Cross Historical Fencing

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Taboo - Tom Hardy knives
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: