Magyar archery kit
I just finished a Magyar (Hungarian) equestrian archery kit (arrows, quiver and belt). With very limited data available on this topic, this is what I came up with. It's more for practical use than a reproduction.

The quiver is based on Magyar quivers, but is not a truly accurate reproduction. I made the kit for a small woman, so I cut a lot of corners to minimize size and weight. (If I rode a horse, I would have made a reproduction birch-bark quiver.) Made from veg-tan leather and lined with horse hair.

The belt is based on the steppe utility/military belt, with rings for suspending the quiver, bow case, and other gear.

The arrows are spruce, with hand-cut fletchings in the "balance pan" style, a variation of the Mongolian-style fletchings.

I'll get around to making the bow case in the next couple of months.

Attachment: 71.48 KB
IMGP3386.JPG

Attachment: 81.5 KB
IMGP3356.JPG

Attachment: 83.86 KB
IMGP3373.JPG

Attachment: 73.11 KB
IMGP3352.JPG

Very nice! Did you use sinew to bind the fletchings? Those are first-class arrows!..........McM
Sinew-colored silk thread :)
Are you going to use the karos cemetery design for the bowcase? I've done some digging on it and it seems to be the only Magyar design but I have to say it's a lot less attractive than the other shapes, such as the Turkish one, which did get used through Russia and beyond.

Really like your quiver design though; the oval shape seems really useful. Here's one I made a bit ago:

[ Linked Image ]
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw1F_NWoyY4kaVJZRE5JNENPd0k

Last edited by David Hohl on Thu 29 Dec, 2016 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Hohl wrote:
Are you going to use the karos cemetery design for the bowcase?.

No, I will probably use the same mounts that I used on the quiver. I think that it has a slight Asian look to it. This is just a practical kit based on a Steppe archery kit, not a reproduction.

I look forward to seeing what you made.

It was certainly was a challenge to find references. Here's a few references that I used:

Baráth, Kármen. The Belt in Late-Medieval Hungary: A Comparison of Archeological and Pictorial Evidences. MA Thesis in Medieval Studies, Central European University, Budapest, Hundary, 2013.

Csanád, Bálint, Director, Institute for Archaeology, Budapest, Hungary. Kelet, a korai avarok és Bizánc kapcsolatai. 1995

Dwyer, Bede. The Closed Quiver. Society of Archer-Antiquaries, Volume 41, 1998

Horváth, Peter, and László Költő. The reconstruction of the fastening of the quiver found in grave number 357 at Vörs-Majori-dűlő. Somogyi Múzeumok Közleményei 16: 223–236, Kaposvár, 2004

Karasulas, Antony. Mounted Archers of the Steppe 600 BC-AD 1300. Great Britain: Osprey Publishing, 2004

Mikhailov, K.A. and S. Yu. Kainov. Finds of Structural Details of Composite Bows from Ancient Rus. Acta Archaeologica Academiae Scientiarum Hungaricae 62 (2011) 229–244. 2011 Akadémiai Kiadó, Budapest.

Paloczi-Horvath, Andras . Pechenegs, Cumans, Iasians: Steppe People in Medieval Hungary. Budapest, Corvina/Kultura, 1989.

Szabó. Chris. A brief Historical Overview of Hungarian Archery, Part I.
I also made the belt in two pieces, consistent with the Steppe utility belt. In hindsight, I should have made the decorative tail another 12 inches longer.

Attachment: 66.06 KB
IMGP3384.jpg

Very nice. The belt really adds a lot. The thing I wonder about with the Magyar bow case is why the reconstruction looks like a saggy bag. The adjacent cultures and time periods are very elegant so I assume there's a really nice design we just haven't put together based on the ornaments left behind.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: