New Deepeeka swords...
An old favorite, the Deepeeka 5-lobe Viking is back at KOA. Unsharpened or blunts...big pommel peens...up-classed scabbards. They look pretty good! They even have their take on a Cluny longsword. Take a look! The last few products I've gotten from Deepeeka have been really nice for the price! In the 'new additions' section..... :) ..........McM
Deepeeka also has a new Greek xiphos, based on a prototype that I made for them. They did a terrific job, I think.

http://deepeeka.in/products-catalog/edged-wea...sword.html

It wasn't showing up at Kult of Athena when I last checked a few days ago, but hopefully it will be available soon. Deepeeka is also doing a number of other Greek items, including a kopis, a Chalcidean helmet, aspis, spolas, and eventually more. It's a little slow going, emailing back and forth with them to advise and fix their "rough drafts", but at the moment pretty much ANY real improvement is a good thing! The xiphos is a good start!

Matthew
That's a nice looking sword, Matthew! Were I into the whole Greco/Roman thing, I would go for that! :D .......McM
I had been following a thread about Deepeka on one of the roman army forums. I was really impressed with the engagement that the top guy at Deepeka had with the forum members in that he was submitting many prototypes of various gladius swords for their critique and then made changes as appropriate.

The trouble is just being able to find these swords on the UK market as with deepeka the gladius range is very messy and disparate.

That xiphos looks pretty good! Do you have one of these Matt ?
Thanks, guys! I've got one that is pretty much the same, that I made by grinding down an *old* Deepeeka xiphos and rebuilding the hilt and scabbard. That thing weighed FOUR POUNDS before I got started, it literally hurt to draw it. Very nice now!

I DO need to get them started on a short xiphos, among all my other projects.

Matthew
I may just have to crack for one of those 5-lobes. The only Viking sword I have right now is a customized Cawood. I really don't want to be bangin' it around at a fair. :eek: ..........McM
finally a nice mass produced xiphos!

the only thing that i cannot understand is the chape, why they do not have chosen a more accurate pelta shaped one?

they are getting closer and closer but there is Always something wrong.... for sure i'll buy it anyway
Gabriele Becattini wrote:
finally a nice mass produced xiphos!

the only thing that i cannot understand is the chape, why they do not have chosen a more accurate pelta shaped one?

they are getting closer and closer but there is Always something wrong.... for sure i'll buy it anyway

Oh, it's not wrong, it's copied from an original (from Phylia?). And there are many similar ones in artwork. There were a couple other folks who recommended a smaller plain rectangular chape, or with a simple rounded end, as those are much more common in vase paintings and such. But I felt this shape was more iconic of the xiphos scabbard, particularly since the two Italian examples from Alfedena and Campovolano are so well known.

I'll do a rectangular or trapezoidal chape for the next one which will have a shorter blade with a midrib. Gotta have variety!

Matthew
My qualm is with the wooden suspension loops on their Viking scabbards. Not so much the wood, as the leather bands that hold them to the scabbard. It appears that they are just glued on. Seems like it wouldn't take much to pull them loose. I realize that it's an easy fix...just tie the wood to the scabbard with leather cordage. Why don't they just do that in the first place? :wtf: ......McM
Mark Moore wrote:
My qualm is with the wooden suspension loops on their Viking scabbards. Not so much the wood, as the leather bands that hold them to the scabbard. It appears that they are just glued on. Seems like it wouldn't take much to pull them loose.

At least there will be very little, if any, force acting to pull the scabbard slide/strap bridge away from the scabbard body. So in practice, this shouldn't be a problem.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: