Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Looking for a good longsword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Rob Roberson

PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm sure Manning Imperial has quality products. Nothing from their catalogue really jumped out at me though. Their XIIa and XIIIa swords seem to have rounded points, which is a bit of a deal breaker for me since I want something that is capable at thrusting as well as cutting.

Kuo Xie wrote:
Hello, I have a 14th century longsword from Valiant which I reviewed in this thread:
http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=31916&highlight=

Thanks for the info and great review. I'll definitely consider them if I decide to go with a less expensive option.

Tim Harris wrote:
I wouldn't put that weight outside the workable range Rob. I use one of my own of similar weight for HEMA fighting, and it's not short of blade presence.

Oh I don't doubt lighter swords are effective weapons. It's just that personally I'd like something that has a bit of heft to it. So preferable I'd like something that's not on the lighter side of historical examples.

Sean Flynt wrote:
Our friend Mark T (New Zealand) is selling this A&A piece: http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=33989&highlight=

K. Robert wrote:
Well, better to save up IMO, you will probably end up selling the cheaper stuff to buy better quality swords in the end anyway. And since you are located in Australia there was was a guy selling a Svante in there. I'ts way more in terms of price, but you save up on shipping, which considering you are overseas can get quite costly. And it's an almost-exact replica of an original sword. Costs a lot of monnies tho even with the greatly reduced price.

https://sbg-sword-forum.forums.net/thread/49292/sale-albion-svante-australia -the selling thread

Thanks for the recommendations. Unfortunately these aren't the sword types I'm looking for.

J.D. Crawford wrote:
I haven't owned them personally but you might consider the Lockwood XIIa or XIIIa: http://www.lockwood-swords.com/index.php?rout...mp;path=33

He also works with Valiant. His own line appears to be more refined but is still in your price range. They are also at Kult of Athena.

Thanks for the recommendation. It do like Lockwoods XIIIa sword, in fact as far as I can tell it seems identical to Albion's Duke. I'm leaning towards the Duke, since it's made from 6150 which has vanadium in the alloy, and it is supposedly more shock resistant and more suitable for someone like me. I may continue to have a look, compare shipping prices, look at scabbards etc. Picking the right scabbard is an important decision as well I think. Any further comments or suggestions are welcome. I can stretch my budget as much as necessary really, it's just going to mean it'll take longer for me to save the money.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Albion Duke is a fine sword. It’s actually considerably lighter than it appears, and one thing that I found was that I actually preferred its handling to the Baron. It also weighs less than the Baron.

One thing you might want to consider is that a single-handed sword might be more appropriate for the Templars than a long sword. The evidence suggests long swords started to appear right at the very end of the 12th century, with swords like Geibig’s Type 11 and Type 12. However, if manuscript art and effigies are any indication, they remain relatively rare, becoming a bit more common in the final quarter of the 13th century, before becoming much more common in the 14th. If you look at the visual evidence from manuscripts and also the effigies, it seems that even the 13th century was overwhelmingly dominated by single-handed swords and shields/bucklers, rather than long swords. Yes, there is evidence for their existence, but I would personally stick to a single handed sword as being more representative.
Rob Roberson

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a good point. I'm sure one handed swords were much more common everywhere in that period. But I thought it'd be more convenient having a sword that can be used as is rather than a weapon that's meant to be used in conjunction with a shield. A shield is a bit redundant in this day and age. They don't particularly help with cutting up milk jugs, which generally don't fight back or shoot arrows at you.
I guess if I want to do some reenacting as a Templar I'd need to look into getting an arming sword and shield. But
I'd need to get a suit of chain mail and other bits and pieces as well so I don't think that's going to be happening any time soon regardless.

Yes, there seems to be a variety of opinions when it comes to the Duke and the Baron. I've handled neither but I have to say that the shape of the Duke is more appealing to me. I guess like a lot of things, this just comes down to personal preference.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello again, Rob....I'm putting together a Templar kit myself. To me, it's actually one of the simpler, less expensive kits one could do. Yes, you'll need mail, a correct helm, a correct robe(duh), and a correct sword. For me, the Hanwei/Tinker Norman sword does the job nicely....though it would probably be too light for your tastes. You would probably be more into the Hanwei Rhinelander....a big cutter with a vicious point. Only prob there is the guard and pommel are all wrong for the time period. It's also a bear to carry on a waist belt of any kind. A baldric does nicely. Look at a few examples from Wulflund, if you haven't already. They make some fine swords, mostly historical. I, personally, have never heard a complaint about one of their swords. Something to check out anyway.... Happy ......McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Houston P.

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know for certain Rob, but I believe you may have seen a reenactment sword in Manning Imperial's catalogue. They don't usually make distinctions between their blunts and sharps, so if you like a general design they have but it seems too blunt it may be because it was made for reenactment. Even if it was a sharp though, they do make custom swords, so if you would like to have minor changes made it shouldn't be an issue.
...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. (‭Luke‬ ‭22‬:‭36‬)
Rob Roberson

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
Hello again, Rob....I'm putting together a Templar kit myself. To me, it's actually one of the simpler, less expensive kits one could do. Yes, you'll need mail, a correct helm, a correct robe(duh), and a correct sword. For me, the Hanwei/Tinker Norman sword does the job nicely....though it would probably be too light for your tastes. You would probably be more into the Hanwei Rhinelander....a big cutter with a vicious point. Only prob there is the guard and pommel are all wrong for the time period. It's also a bear to carry on a waist belt of any kind. A baldric does nicely. Look at a few examples from Wulflund, if you haven't already. They make some fine swords, mostly historical. I, personally, have never heard a complaint about one of their swords. Something to check out anyway.... Happy ......McM

Really? That's interesting Mark. When I see scabbards going for $500+, and full plate harnesses going in excess of $30,000 I could never imagine a full Crusader's kit being cheap. Where are you getting your armour from? One condition I have if I were to get any mail is that is has to be riveted. I'd never be satisfied with non-functional armour any more than I'd be satisfied with a non-functional sword. Also, 2 pounds and 8 ounces doesn't seem unreasonably light for an arming sword. It's the same weight as the Albion model of the same name.

Houston P. wrote:
I don't know for certain Rob, but I believe you may have seen a reenactment sword in Manning Imperial's catalogue. They don't usually make distinctions between their blunts and sharps, so if you like a general design they have but it seems too blunt it may be because it was made for reenactment. Even if it was a sharp though, they do make custom swords, so if you would like to have minor changes made it shouldn't be an issue.

That's a good point. However even though I am looking for a XIIIa style sword it does not taper enough for my tastes, and it's a bit heavier. I do understand that it's simply a recreation of a historical piece, no criticism there. Considering that getting a custom made sword is generally more expensive, I'm not sure there would be significant enough cost savings to justify bothering to get one made when there are already plenty of swords that I do like on the market already.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, Rob......I got my mail from Kult of Athena. It's fully functional mail, about as much so as anything else out there, and relatively inexpensive---depending on what you want. I don't fight anymore, so I went with a lighter shirt and coif. I have yet to get any chausses, because....well, ....I just don't like them. My helm is a cheap India-made Norman conical nasal that surprised me so much with it's quality I may get another one. Linen robes from MRL, and various other odds n ends that are hand made. My entire Crusader kit, not counting the armor and sword, probably wound up around $550-650 range. The whole kit may not be 100% 'historically correct', BUT I DON'T CARE. I've been told I look like I just stepped off the set of 'Kingdom of Heaven', and that's good enough of a compliment to me. As far as swords go, I love my little H/T Norman. The stock scabbard sucks, but I'm thinking of maybe making a new one. I think one of the major attention getters with my kit are the spurs, which I made myself. People ask--"Damn...Did you ride here on horseback??'', --especially the ladies.(Much to my wife's chagrin. Laughing Out Loud ) But do look at Wulflund. Some fine swords AND armor there, and you won't have to sell a kidney on the black market to get it. Laughing Out Loud When it all boils down, the only person you have to please is YOU. I'm satisfied with everything I have, authenticity be damned. Sorry if I rant on from time to time. I'm just getting old and living my second childhood. Wink .............McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Fisher Lobdell

Reading list: 14 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Be careful buying from wulflund. Confused Big Grin
"Absence of evidence is not necessarily the evedence of Absence." Ewart Oakeshotte.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Looking for a good longsword
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: