Padding question
I am interested in purchasing a suit of leather armor to wear for show ( not for fighting), and have it picked out. My question is what type of padding does a person wear under the leather armor? I considered a buckled gambeson, but feel it is too heavy. Can anyone suggest a lightweight gambeson, arming coat or padded shirt that would work for me? Thanks for your help

Attachment: 25.84 KB
bts-2480_1_.jpg

Hi, Chuck.....If the armor is lined, say with suede or fabric, you shouldn't need much padding. Windlass makes a padded coif/gorget that covers your head and shoulders. Available at Kult of Athena in the 'helmets' section. All cotton, tan color, very comfortable. I love mine. The shoulders are where the most of the weight of the armor is usually placed. O ther than that, I would just wear something comfortable under it, like a jogging suit. If you just need padding to take up space between you and the armor, Therion Arms sells arm bracers, leg greaves, and upper thigh padding in natural, brown , or black. Hope this helps you. BTW....That's some cool looking armor in the picture!...........McM
When I wore leather arms and legs for SCA heavy (fighting with rattan swords), the only padding I used was the closed-cell foam at the knee and elbow required by the armour standards. I usually wore jeans and bare arms underneath.

For the helmet, it depends on whether on not there is any built-in lining or suspension. For the rest, you don't need any padding as such. You might want to wear jeans and a long-sleeved shirt, especially if you might get scratched by rivets. How thick your jeans and shirt should be will depend on (a) what's needed for comfort, and (b) weather. Jeans (or other modern pants) can be convenient since pockets are useful for keys, wallets, etc.

If all-day costume wear, then you might want to see whether you can sit in chairs, and whether your combination of pants and tassets allows socially-acceptable urination.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: