Update from Paladin Forge
Hey everyone, it has been several months since my last official post, so I think it's time for an update. I've updated the website a bit and added categories for my previous works, just in an effort to make things more organized. I've also added pics and info on some of the pieces I've done so far. Here are a few examples:

A Hanwei Dark Sentinel that got a new hilt.
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

4 pole hammers for stage combat:
[ Linked Image ][ Linked Image ]

I've also done a lot of hilt components; quite a number of people were looking for guards and/or pommels. Here are just a few.

Type H pommel:
[ Linked Image ]

Bronze type I with inset:
[ Linked Image ]

Guard and pommel for a schiavonesca:
[ Linked Image ]
http://paladinforge.com/Cat's%20head.jpg

Twisted guard for an Albion bare blade:
[ Linked Image ]

I've also still got a couple finished pieces available for sale, plus a couple of blades ready for customization - a HT GSOW and a HT bastard with fuller. For more info check out http://paladinforge.com/Currently%20Available.html.

Recreation of XII.2 from Records using a HT EMSH blade. $300 US.
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

Recreation of XVIIIa.2 from Records using a HT bastard blade. $350 US.
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

Thanks for looking, and be sure to check out www.paladinforge.com!
Nice work! I want that dark sentinel.
Great work! Happy to see that things are going so well.

The twisted guard and the sparring/stage-combat hammers are particularly nice. The work makes me wish I had a lot more disposable income to throw around.
Hey Alan...

Nice work on re-hilting the Hanwei Sentinel blade, I haven't seen one repurposed before. I wanted to inquire about that. I have a Dark Sentinel blade sitting in my shop. It will eventually be getting shortened and hilted as an 18th century 'hanger' sword.

The thing that irritates me about the blade is that when it was ground at the factory, the grind extends past the blade/ tang junction . The tang itself is ground down to the thickness of the blade for a few centimeters before it thickens to the proper dimensions .

I can't help but consider this a weakness. Moreover, because the tang is thick at the end and thins down , a guard that will fit over the end of the tang has a large gap when flush with the blade.

Did your blade have the same factory error? If so, how did you deal with that?
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Isaac - I don't recall having that problem on the one I worked on, it seemed to me that the tang was the same thickness throughout. How thick is the tang at the shoulders? Is it thick enough to be properly sturdy if you grind the whole thing even?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: