Tods Foundry chapes
Hi All,

I make a range of dagger and sword chapes that can be found here http://www.todsstuff.co.uk/todsfoundry/scabbard-fittings.htm and I have just added two new pieces to the range (though not yet on the site).

The sword chape is based on a piece found in Brighthampton, which is part of my home village of Standlake, so locally sourced. For the record my village has been a settlement since before Roman times and I love the sense of time the place has. It is a Saxon piece from 5th/6thC, though the form is very like chapes from the 11th and 12thC, but is long at nearly 5".

The dagger chape is a popular form from the late 15th and 16thC and I have made it double sided so either face can be used outward.

I hope you like them.

Tod

Attachment: 163.28 KB
IMGP8804.JPG

Last edited by Leo Todeschini on Mon 21 Nov, 2016 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Those are really nice. Even though it would be a little mix-match, that Saxon sure would look good on my Norman sword scabbard. But.....then I'd need a top throat to go with it.....and a good, proper belt with all the trimmings, and....wait a sec...Damn I can spend a lot of money quick! Beautiful work, as always! .........McM
Tod,

PM'd you re the Brighthampton chape.

Matt
Oh man - I would have LOVED to have that sword chape on my recent Reeve scabbard you made for me ...
Cheers
Michael
Thanks for the feed back guys.

The very excellent Matt Bunker has sent me this info.

"Brighthampton sword and scabbard fittings are late 5th/early 6th century, not 8th/9th.
It's one of the earliest Anglo Saxon swords. The decoration on the scabbard chape is "Quoit Brooch" style, which is an evolution of Roman and Scandinavian art, predating Anglo Saxon interlaced animal art. "

Thanks Matt.

Unfortunately it is in the Ashmolean, a whopping 8 miles from here, but they don't answer any questions...

Tod
I have no sword that will be a suitable match for this shape but it looks absolutely awesome.
Looking forward to see one of these mounted on a scabbard.
Cheers,
J
That chape gives me the desire to buy a new sword, just for the purpose of having a scabbard made with that chape.
Patrick Kelly wrote:
That chape gives me the desire to buy a new sword, just for the purpose of having a scabbard made with that chape.

Seriously, Me too. That's exactly how I feel

Also love the dagger chape. Would like to see that work out. Great job as always Tod.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: