Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Online 3d Printable Grip Generator Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mike Jia
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 11 Nov, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Online 3d Printable Grip Generator         Reply with quote

Hi folks, I wanted to share a new web tool I've made where you can generate a 3d printable sword grip. Just fill in the tang measurements, choose the grip you'd like to use and voila! Instant 3d printable grip model. Happy

Please let me know if you have any problems using this tool, and I'll do my best to fix them.

https://printedarmoury.wordpress.com/2016/11/11/online-3d-grip-generator/
T. Diamante

PostPosted: Fri 11 Nov, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is very helpful Mike! It also just made me feel pretty dumb for never realizing that with the adjustable tang measurements, you can print a grip for ANY sword... Laughing Out Loud

But, definitely a time saver on those waisted grips.
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
I won't have much use for this as I prefer to carve my grips in wood, but I find the concept awesome. You made this as simple as possible - just played around with it and it works beautifully! I bet many will find this useful. The end product is nylon right?

I've said this on another thread using your 3D printed fittings, I very much like your approach as I've considered using 3D printing to produce hilts in wax...you are on to something for sure (the market for med sword fittings is virtually non existent beside bespoke) but never got around spending the time to train myself on blender to a sufficient degree (I was trained on maya many years ago, and it's frustrating having to look around for 10 minutes to figure out how to extrude thng Happy ) I'll get around it someday, as there are repro using this technique to an amazing degree of complexity as Nils Anderssen as shown (not to mention Christian Fletcher, or Brian K for shapes, and even leather stamps).

Regarding guards and pommels: you've focused on rather complex designs so far, I was wondering if you would aim at more simple and generic pieces: wheel pommels, sent stopper pommels, straight guards, curved guard etc. Tapering wheel pommels for instance, would not present any difficulties on a 3D software but are very hard to make in steel.
Also straight copies of historical pieces would be fantastic. I'd be buying these for sure Happy

Also very nice work on the Suontaka hilts too. Looking forward to see these completed.
Cheers,
Julien
Mike Jia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks T. and Julien! Printing nylon via Shapeways will give you a stronger grip, but ABS via one of the printers on 3dhubs is also fine.

We will be introducing a new scentstopper pommel for the Hanwei Tinker Bastard early next year, but that one's also going to be rather fancy unfortunately :P I haven't thought about any other new designs, but if there seems to be sufficient demand for plainer fittings then I will strongly consider them.

The initial run of Suontaka swords have been finished (and are already sold out) but we'll do our best to start a second run soon Wink
T. Diamante

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm pretty excited to see the new scent stopper. Mike will you ever be doing a production run of your scabbard chapes? I have a Knightly and a Longsword and am very pleased with both; the only downside was that ordering through Shapeways can be a bit of a wait compared to already available products.
Mike Jia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Most probably not unfortunately, the market for chapes is just too small to make stocking them worth while.
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Sun 13 Nov, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is something intangible about hand-carving your own grip.......
T. Diamante

PostPosted: Sun 13 Nov, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry I agree with you to an extant; on most historical swords(or really anything that you're making yourself) a wood core carved and fitted to the tang lends authenticity to the piece. The first grip core I made took me 4 tries before I got everything right Laughing Out Loud However, I think there are some cases where a 3D printed may be more desirable. The H/T line was never really intended to be or even look strictly historical, but rather be affordable, functional "backyard cutters". Mike's fittings offer a much more aesthetically pleasing option, but their function still hasn't changed, and with the fittings and a bare blade, the H/T line is actually even more affordable. Additionally, without peening the tang(rather than the hex nut assembly) these swords will never look wholly authentic. This brings me to practicality; as mentioned before these swords are a very affordable option, and many people who buy them may not have access to decent tools, the woodworking experience, etc(for a novice, a waisted longsword grip might present a challenge) to make a decent grip. One final thought; a 3D printed grip can be made from some very tough material, tougher than wood.

So suffice to say, I don't think hand carved grips are going anyway, nor should they on any piece that claims to be historically accurate. But I believe that 3D printed grips(made tougher materials than PLA of course) have a place on non historical or "performance based" swords.

Sorry if I rambled on there, I'm starting to feel like I should have just started a different thread... Laughing Out Loud

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Online 3d Printable Grip Generator
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic