Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Custom H/T Arming Sword ProjectDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
T. Diamante

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Custom H/T Arming Sword Project         Reply with quote

I wanted to share a personal project I've been working on; an H/T EMSHS blade paired with The Printed Armoury's "Dunvegan" fittings(and one of his Knightly chapes for the scabbard). I built the scabbard using linen and hide glue over poplar slats; the inside is also lined with wool felt that's been treated with gun oil. The leather cover is glued on some areas in addition to being stitched up the back; the scabbard fits tightly enough that it can be held upside down without the blade falling out. The method I used is certainly effective, but I did note at least one drawback; after the linen has dried around the slats, surface is uneven and rippled. This can be remedied somewhat with a belt sander, but there's a limit to what can be done without compromising the integrity of the core, thus resulting in a surface that is not as even and refined as on high end scabbards. Any commentary on the differences/effectiveness of different methods would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, I just found out that I am without a job after this weekend, so I'll be selling this sword on the marketplace along with an H/T Longsword that I have not yet finished.

Thanks everyone for looking!

Attachment: 251.88 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 209.5 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 200.5 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 221.99 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 224.71 KB
[ Download ]
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice work! I was looking at the kit at Kult of Athena and wondering how it would look; now we know. Sorry to hear about your job.
T. Diamante

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks JD, the fittings seem to be a little hit or miss in regards to finish(some will have more dings and scratches out of the box than others), but overall I think they are a great alternative for anyone that likes historical designs but isn't ready yet to invest in higher end pieces. That said, seeing the process on your modified Caithness definitely reminded me of the value of a true custom sword.
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice job on that hilt and scabbard T ! I've been following the progress of printed Armoury since their creation. I think the concept is great, with more variety in these hilts it could become quiet awesome. I wished they went for simpler forms, like a generic wheel pommel, a generic straight guard, curved guard etc. rather than come up with slightly over elaborated designs - that held me off to go ahead and buy one...but that's just me Happy

Did you have to rework the finish on these hilt parts? or mount these straight out of the box (I know they improved their foundry polish).

Cheers,
J
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful work, Julien! That is approaching Albion quality there! I love the brown and green contrast. That would sure look good with my kilt! Laughing Out Loud ...............McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

T.Diamante
I like the result. The fittings remind me of the Albion Laird furniture. I'm looking forward to your "for sale" posting.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

SORRY!! I meant --"Nice work, T." ..............McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
T. Diamante

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No apology necessary Mark! I take it as a compliment that you would mistake my work for Julien's, he's done some pretty fine pieces, particularly in regards to leather work, and that you consider it such high quality.

Julien, in regards to finish, all the fittings I received came with a mirror polish that I sanded down to a satin finish. Again, the quality is not entirely consistent here; the Dunvegan and Viscount fittings I got have small dings and scratches, while a Zurich set was completely immaculate. I agree though, I would love to see more designs, even simpler ones.
T. Diamante

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And I forgot to mention, the For Sale post is up!
Ryan Renfro

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks good! How does it feel in the hand? Do you have any numbers for it?
T. Diamante

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Ryan. Here are the stats:
Overall Length: 38 3/4in
Blade: 32in
Blade width: 2 1/8in
Weight: 2lbs, 8oz
POB: ~6 1/4 in

Compared to the average H/T EMSHS(for stats: http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SH2404 ) , this one has more blade presence and cutting power, for about the same weight. It doesn't feel heavy or cumbersome, but is also not as nimble in the thrust compared to other Type XII reproductions available. If you enjoy cutting oriented swords, this one would fit the bill. Or if you just like the Scottish theme...

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Custom H/T Arming Sword ProjectDIY Project
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic