Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Chirstmas present for my 6 year old... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Justin H Nunez

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Chirstmas present for my 6 year old...         Reply with quote

My son wants a plastic replica of Peter's sword from The Chronicles of Narnia with a belt and scabbard of course.
Any have any ideas where I can can find one? I have surfed for hours and have come up with nothing. I wonder if maybe custom is the only way to go? I am thinking foam or latex or even wood (though that splinters after fighting).
Any ideas?
I have thought maybe buy and existing and replace the pommel with a 3-D printed pommel. We have a printer here in the technology department at the university.
Thank you in advance for any help!

Nothing in fencing is really difficult, it just takes work.
Zach Gordon

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This might be appropriate:
http://www.swordsswords.com/Chronicles-of-Nar...g905gd.htm

It is not sharp as is, but you could blunt it down even further with a belt sander, and round out the tip. You could also disassemble it and replace the blade with an aluminium training blade, such as you might get from cas hanwei etc.

Cheers!
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J4575IM

There is an officially-licensed plastic replica, but it's currently unavailable on Amazon and I doubt it's being made any more. A belt and scabbard for a plastic sword are probably going to cost several times as much as the sword itself... Just having the plastic sword isn't enough? 'Tis bound to break into little bits sooner or later in the hands of a six year old, so I would recommend not investing too much in the additional parts.

Zach Gordon wrote:
This might be appropriate:
http://www.swordsswords.com/Chronicles-of-Nar...g905gd.htm

No form of metal blade should ever be given to a young child as a toy! Crazy talk!

My Flickr Galleries - Travel, Nature & Things
Zach Gordon

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had aluminum swords as young as five, they are less likely to break and cause sharp ends as plastic or wood will! I had blunt steel swords as young as eight.. and they are common as a toy in the UK.

Best
Zach
T. Diamante

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/Prince-Pommel-Sword-Movie-Replica/dp/B009XXHJ1I/ref=cts_ap_1_vtp?_encoding=UTF8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2601945442&pf_rd_r=TC041G8AKNN4M7GS8DXN&pd_rd_wg=aIW44&pf_rd_s=desktop-detail-softlines&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_i=B009XXHJ1I&pd_rd_w=tUwYb&pf_rd_i=desktop-detail-softlines&pd_rd_r=TC041G8AKNN4M7GS8DXN

The link above appears to be a halfway decent wall hanger of the full sword. If you want a convincing replica for your son, you might purchase one to use as a mold for injection mold casting(latex, resin, etc). If you can find someone who specializes in prop making, it would be a relatively simple task to make a highly convincing duplicate the sword in latex.

This is of course only if you can't find the plastic one that Gregory posted. If you can find one of those available, some touch ups with a dremel tool and a new paint job would go a long way towards improving the detail.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

FWIW, I made this one for my son's 5th birthday. Dead simple, if you'd like to try something custom.

The blade is a blunted AC 12" Arkansas Toothpick ($15): http://www.atlantacutlery.com/p-923-arkansas-...de-12.aspx

The pommel is from a little bag of hardwood spheres found at Hobby Lobby.

The cross is an oak dowel.

Grip is poplar w/ cord-marked goatskin wrap. The by-knife is poplar. Scabbard is poplar/goat, with a single cord riser. Single-ply leather would be easier.

Homemade chape and buckle.

The sword is assembled only with JB Weld, and my son (now 9) has beaten the heck out of it over the years. Not so much as a crack or loosening.

Attachment: 118.32 KB
shortsword_192.gif

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's cool as all get out, Sean! I didn't even get my first pocket knife until I was nine! I guess I'm making up for it now!....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Justin H Nunez

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean that is awesome working for your son! Of course everything you do turns out awesome. Thank you all for the ideas!
I am thinking of maybe getting a current latex sword and changing the pommel with a 3-d printed one. I'm still open to ideas though..,.,

Nothing in fencing is really difficult, it just takes work.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Chirstmas present for my 6 year old...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic