Fake or real antique swords?
Dear all,

I am about to buy a set of katana and wakizashi, at least what I think they are. Lady says they are from Malaysia and from 17th century. I am attaching several pictures in order for you to give me opinion if they are legit or not, or what they might be.

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

Thank you a lot.
They look like post-WW2 SE Asian fake Japanese swords. Definitely imitation Japanese WW2 gunto (army swords).

Malaysia is quite plausible (most I've see are from Indonesia), but 20th century rather than 17th. Don't see many of these, since Chinese-made fake Japanese swords have become dominant.
So if they are genuine Japanese WW2 gunto swords, what would be their price in this condition? She found them at garage sale and selling them for 250e
I don't know the gunto market, or how much of a hit the price would take from the poor condition. But these are not genuine WW2 gunto, but rather poor fake gunto.

A little time spent looking at authentic gunto will make the fakeness obvious: http://ohmura-study.net/900.html
I agree with Timo. These are replicas, and not very good ones, and in terrible condition. Can't say what someone else would pay, but I wouldn't be inclined to pay anything for them.
Thank you for help, my first opinion was that they were fake, but I am not anywhere near familiar with swords so I wanted to check :)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: